Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 3:33:41 PM EST
Ok, I just received this today. It is an older Atchisson .22 conversion. It is made Military Armament Corp (MAC) and has the MAC/SWD logo on it. It is definitely for an AR-15.

Here is the problem. It installs nicely, but when I bring the bolt back to charge it, the bolt hangs-up on the hammer when I let it go (See illustration).

The "notch" on the underside of the bolt >APPEARS< to be normal, as it is there to mate with the ejecting rod...see photo.

Does anyone have one like this? Does it look the same? In order to make it work I will have to add metal to the bolt (solution C) and profile a bit of the ejector block/rod.

I could also profile the top of the hammer (solution A). or profile the bolt (solution B).

STOP ME BEFORE I DO SOMETHING STUPID and tell me the normal way to fix this.

My approach, without any help, would be to weld-in some metal to the bolt and re-profile it so that it does not hang on the hammer.

I do not want to get rid of the kit, as it came w/ a high cap mag. It also appears to be a bit sturdier than the normal Ceiner kits. I am also told that Ceiner mags will work with this kit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:39:00 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:21:52 PM EST
Which hammer are you using in the lower. AR-15 type M-16 type 9mm type Without looking at the rifle, My guess would be that you are using a Modified M-16 hammer and the top/ back edge is too high. If you were to swap the hammer out with a true Ar-15 stepped ledge hammer, chances are that the step will clear the carrier. If not, then just roll fill the Modified M-16 hammer top edge to allow it to clear the carrier when retained by the trigger hook. Also, does the carrier only catch when the trigger is retaining the hammer, or will it also catch when the disconnector is retaining the hammer too. Dano
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:05:28 PM EST
The hammer is a bone-stock AR-15 hammer which came with my DPMS. It hangs on both the sear (when the trigger is still depressed) and the trigger spur (when the trigger is let go). I am wondering if anyone else has this same model of Atchisson and if they are identical? What does an Early SP1 hammer look like? This Atchisson was probably made in the very early 70's. It is supposedly the first one. "Patents Pending" and all...
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:07:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2003 5:08:33 PM EST by DevilsAdvocate]
In thinking, if there was a 1/4" thick plastic buffer behind the bolt, it may not cycle far enough back to snag the hammer. Are these things supposed to have a buffer of any kind?
Top Top