Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/3/2009 7:34:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 7:35:35 PM EST by Magpie]
I want to buy an AR that's for sale locally. It's a flattop, and I guess I don't know how one uses optics with it. What I mean is it has a flattop, but also a front sight. How does that work exactly? If you put a red dot onto it, isn't the front sight in the way? If you mount it high to see above the front sight isn't your chin going to be on the stock in order to see over

Also I don't know how to look up it's value cuz the ad is kind of wanting for details. It says:

"DPMS Flat top upper, 1/9 twist, chrome moly. 6 position stock

$800 or OBO"

I spoke to him and offered him $700 and he'll take it. Then it made me wonder if I'm the one getting taken. I expected him to haggle a bit with my low offer. Is this not worth even $800? Are there any concerns I should be asking about?

http://www.cologunmarket.com/mkt/attachments/untitled_134.jpg

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:37:02 PM EST
Flatops afford variation in optic choices.
Typically, a BUIS is also used.

Most - if not all, Red Dot style optics will work fine with a fixed FSB
Used properly, the sight blurs out and is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:40:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 7:41:45 PM EST by survivorman]
your ooptics will mount to the top.....no the forward sight base will not be in the way.....yes there are risers for sights but for the most part you will be just fine. $700 isnt a bad deal I could have sworn I saw a link on a post here for a little cheaper........it looks as if its the base model version, which is going to be the 1/9 twist and a chrome moly barrel(most prefer chromlined barrels) I honestly would save a few more pennys and get something else.....for a few hundred more you can get into something like a COLT or LMT. If thats all your willing to spend or afford then dont be discouraged........as long as it goes bang your ok :) good luck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:23:03 PM EST
This seems like a good entry level AR, right? It's worth $700, right? It's new/unfired.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:27:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 9:37:44 PM EST by TheManInBlack]
take a look at CMMG's bargin bin rifles. Cosmetic blems but in working condition for 650 and I think an extra 25 for handselect.

ETA: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1978375&cat=161&

My bad, 600 dollars. You have a choice of a 18 inch, RIFLE length gas system with a 1:7 twist and chrome lined barrel. This would be my choice. The 1:7 will give you a bit more flexiblity when shooting 70 grain+ loads while still maintaining decent accuracy with 55 grain loads. Plus the added bonus of a chrome lined barrel will mean eaiser cleaning and be long lasting.

The other option is the 16in, CARBINE length gas system. 1:9 twist and nitrided barrel, don't know much about the nitride.

Either of these are great entry level guns. The only catch is that they're online orders only. So you must find an FFL. Runs down to FFL transfer fee and shipping, should come in around $650-680.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:14:19 AM EST
I would not go with that setup if I planned on putting a magnified optic on it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:54:21 AM EST
The front sight will not be a problem. When using a zero magnification optic (red dot) buy a mount that puts the irons in a lower 1/3 co-witness. www.laruetactica.com makes some of the best mounts for this if you are choosing an EOTech or Aimpoint. You will not have any issues with the front sight because it is outside of the main sight picture. If you choose to use magnified optics (scope) on the rifle then go with a 4x or greater. This should put the focal point out past the sight and you will never notice it. One word of advice, if you are looking to put a scope on it such as a 3.5-10 I would not buy an M4 type rifle, get a varmit or similar type of gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:09:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 3:31:55 AM EST by JustKeepSwimming]
Originally Posted By Magpie:
This seems like a good entry level AR, right? It's worth $700, right? It's new/unfired.

Since he placed the ad in late September and he still has it, that kind of says that your local market has declared it overpriced. Back in January or February somebody would have snapped it up at that price, but the mad rush is pretty much over. If you want the best deal on a rifle, do take a look at the CMMG bargain bin. If you want the peace of mind of being able to hold it and inspect it before you buy, consider any shipping and FFL transfer costs you will need to add onto the bargain bin rifle and the few bucks difference may be worth it to you for that peace of mind.

Of course, add on $1000 for gas if you would have to drive from the 4 corners area to Loveland to see the rifle.

Also, I have a Strikefire red dot on a flat top and the front sight post doesn't bother me at all.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:11:15 AM EST
I wouldn't pay $700 for a DPMS when there are so many other options out there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:54:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By AzNooB:

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:17:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By Nichonator:
Originally Posted By AzNooB:

+1

That aren't any better, and more likely worse.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:51:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By Drew1066:
The front sight will not be a problem. When using a zero magnification optic (red dot) buy a mount that puts the irons in a lower 1/3 co-witness. www.laruetactica.com makes some of the best mounts for this if you are choosing an EOTech or Aimpoint. You will not have any issues with the front sight because it is outside of the main sight picture. If you choose to use magnified optics (scope) on the rifle then go with a 4x or greater. This should put the focal point out past the sight and you will never notice it. One word of advice, if you are looking to put a scope on it such as a 3.5-10 I would not buy an M4 type rifle, get a varmit or similar type of gun.

This is on the mark. For a CQB carbine, add a rear sight and a mount that lets you co-witness through zero magnification dot sight. With a 4X tactical sized scope the objective is large enough to look around the FSB. Theoretically the obstruction reduces the effective size of the objective so you lose some image resolution which reduces the effectivness of the scope at really long range, but you don't shoot a carbine at really long distances so it is a non issue.

As note above a larger, high end, higher magnification scope is going to be used with a longer ranged rifle configuration anyway and in that suituaion you do not want a gas block with an FSB on top.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:00:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 5:01:11 AM EST by higgite]

If you have already made the deal, then it's too late, but FYI....

Budsgunshop.com has that rifle NIB for $723 delivered. (plus, you'll have to pay a transfer fee to a local FFL dealer. I assume you're not a dealer) I'm not associated with Bud's in any way, just a satisfied customer. Others may have as good or better deal.

If the seller you're dealing with is an individual, be aware that DPMS only warranties for the original retail purchaser. I've had no warranty dealings with them, so I don't know how strict they are with that policy, but that's what it says. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:06:43 AM EST
700 is good for that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:09:39 AM EST
I put a red dot on mine with a larue mount. It also has a rear BUIS (Back up iron sight). With the sight flipped up I can use the irons looking through the very bottom half of the red dot. Or I can just look through the middle of the red dot and use the dot. The front sight post does not get in the way at all.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:21:44 AM EST

The DPMS is a great rifle no matter what some people may say. If you are LEO and using this as your patrol rifle, I would say buy something else. If your using it as a range/fun/getting into AR gun then it is perfect. $700 is a good price. I bought the same gun in march for about $1000 but I dont regret it. its been absolutly flawless and I saved myself a few hundred dollars (compared to other makes at the time)
As far as the front sight. No it will not be an issue. I have an EoTech 552 on my flat top. Works great.
Good luck with what ever you choose and keep us posted
Cheers ~Johnny
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:45:28 AM EST
That gun is "worth" about $600 but if you want it bad enough then pay what you wanna pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:45:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
That gun is "worth" about $600 but if you want it bad enough then pay what you wanna pay for it.

this
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:57:02 PM EST
I notice you're in CO as well. Where in CO are you? If you don't wanna violate opsec that's understandable...

I saw practically the same rifle (or a few) at Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago for 699
Top Top