Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 1:44:14 PM EDT
My dad is trying to get into shooting and just got a colt LE6920 with an eotech 511 a65.  I am pretty ignorant with optics, but I offered to try and help.  

When we got to the range today, any adjustment I made in an attempt to zero the sight didn't move the reticle.  I used both adjustment knobs, watching through the site carefully as I cranked them, no change.  

I also noticed despite playing with the brightness that the reticle never came into focus.  My contacts weren't in but my vision isn't THAT bad.  

Did I get a lemon or is there something I am missing here?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My dad is trying to get into shooting and just got a colt LE6920 with an eotech 511 a65.  I am pretty ignorant with optics, but I offered to try and help.  

When we got to the range today, any adjustment I made in an attempt to zero the sight didn't move the reticle.  I used both adjustment knobs, watching through the site carefully as I cranked them, no change.  

I also noticed despite playing with the brightness that the reticle never came into focus.  My contacts weren't in but my vision isn't THAT bad.  

Did I get a lemon or is there something I am missing here?

The reticle will look fuzzy until you look downrange at the target.  So don't focus on the dot, look at what you're trying to hit. Make sure it's not too bright, as it will "bloom" some too.  I have never been able to see the reticle moving when adjusting it, but have had no trouble sighting them in (which means the reticle moves for sure).
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking at the reticle it will look fuzzy no matter what you do.  The key is to look down range through the optic.  When you are focused on something down range you will not notice it.  As to the sighting in  Have you shot with it.  and attempted adjustment of where your rounds went or are you just adjusting the knobs in an attempt to see the reticle move on the glass.  If you are adjusting it for change of impact of rounds down range you will notice a difference.  As to the brightness if you keep it turned down to the lowest usable setting for your light conditions the reticle will not "bloom" and appear larger than it actually is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the Eotech have the same problems as the Aimpoint for people with astigmatism's?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I had read on eotech's website not to focus on the reticle but rather downrange--it still didn't look clear.

My dad and I both shot around 80 rounds downrange (100yds) and not one hit the target.  Terrible eh?  I follow the adjusting after you are hitting the target to tweak it, but if none are hitting at all?  Painful.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Another thread:  Linky
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did your dad purchase the EoTech?  There are now fully trademarked/labled knock off EoTechs on the market and the first batches had serious issues with the reticles.

If he purchased it from a reputable dealer at their shop, he's probably got a real EoTech.  If he purchased used or at a gun show....he may have gotten a crappy deal.

Wes
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top