Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 6:09:59 PM EDT
What type of marking is used on the FN made upper receiver? Also, does FN make any HBAR configured barrels? I have an upper that is supposedly FN made, but I do not know what mark they use. It has what looks like a "keyhole" shaped mark on the rear carry handle area (same place other makers are marked). Is this an FN mark, or who? Appreciate any input.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT, Anybody have any info?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Also, does FN make any HBAR configured barrels?

No

I have an upper that is supposedly FN made,

You got taken.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, does FN make any HBAR configured barrels?

No

I have an upper that is supposedly FN made,

You got taken.

Maybe (on the last one) maybe not.

I have seen a true FN upper in civilian hands before- although I did not ask how and where he come by it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
arent fn uppers stamped with a "F".
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Older FN uppers were forge marked with "F K".  I have a newer FN receiver, verified by a member here, that has the keyhole forging mark of Cerro Forge and an "F" stamped in it prior to anodizing.  It is a medium to dark grey.  It sits in my safe for a possible future build.

Pic:

Adding:  I have never seen a true, complete, assembled FN receiver in civilian hands.  I have owned every component of an FN upper receiver except for the bolt carrier and a charging handle.  All I have left is the receiver pictured above and an "MPF" marked bolt.  Got all of my FN items off the e-turd, oops, I meant to say ebay.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
From your description, it looks like you got snoockered.  While it's perfectly true that FN has used some Cerro Forgings, with the keyhole mark, on their  production, it's wqually true that every other manufacturer has also used keyhole forgings.  So if it doesn't have an "F" stamped next to the keyhole, it's not FN.

Same with the barrel.  FN barrels are clearly stamped, ahead of the front sight base, with FN's markings.  FN did, and does, make 20" barrels, both A1 and A2 versions, and some of them have shown up on the surplus market, but they are instantly identifiable by the markings.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Same with the barrel.  FN barrels are clearly stamped, ahead of the front sight base, with FN's markings.  FN did, and does, make 20" barrels, both A1 and A2 versions, and some of them have shown up on the surplus market, but they are instantly identifiable by the markings.

Like mine!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. Fortunately I bought the gun, not the story and did not pay extra for the supposed FN upper. It looks like the receiver is made by Cerro. Does the keyhole mark without other markings mean anything? Did (does) Cerro sell to the public? Or which maker might have used this without adding their own marks?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Fortunately I bought the gun, not the story and did not pay extra for the supposed FN upper. It looks like the receiver is made by Cerro. Does the keyhole mark without other markings mean anything? Did (does) Cerro sell to the public? Or which maker might have used this without adding their own marks?

Thanks.

Cerro sells raw forgings to nearly all the manufacturers.  These manufacturers then finish the receivers to their specs.  I've seen the mark on factory Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS and even Colt (with the "C" of course).  If you did not buy this from a factory rep or approved dealer, it could have been finished by anybody.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top