Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 1:27:07 PM EDT
I have a new DPMS M4 that I would like to use for deer hunting this year.  This rifle will be set up for deer drive, or just walking through the woods because I don't want to carry the .308 around all day.

I am interested in a low power scope 1.5 to 4 or 5. I like the 1.5 to 5 power scope because I can use both eyes open on 1.5 and still have a little magnification. Currently, I have a Leupold 3X9 on the .308 and I leave the scope set on 4 or 5 power.

I am looking at:

Trijicon 1.5 x 5
Leupold Mark 4 Tactical 1.5 x 5 Illuminated
Leupold VariX III 1.5 x 5 Illuminated
Swarovski PV-I 1.25 x4 Illuminated
Trijicon ACOG 3 or 4 power

I think the Swarovski might cost too much, and the ACOG would be nice, but I would like to buy a scope that I could use on another rifle.

What do you guys think? Is there any other scopes that I should look at?

Chris

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Leupold VariX III 1.5 x 5 Illuminated
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Trijicon ACOG 3 or 4 power

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Cost being a consideration, I'd take a Leupold 1.5-5 non illuminated. Remember you can't hunt at night and I've never needed an illuminated reticle during hunting hours. $400.00 well spent IMHO.

I have a 2.5-8 on my AR-15 and AR-10 and hunt coyotes both at night and during the day and the black reticle stands out just fine with a red spot light. I don't see the need for the extra money spent on illumination for a hunting gun, nothing wrong with one but they do run up the price tag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll give a +1 on the Accupoint.  

I'm the king of the cheap glass, so I had to take a DEEP breath before dropping the $535 or so for a scope...but I'm glad I did....it's a great piece of glass, and the simplicity of the reticle (well, post and triangle, to be precise) could be a real boon out in the brush.  

Bear in mind Trijicon has a mail in rebate...$50 on the 1.25x4, and it's good through October 1, iirc.  I'm sure Grant knows

If it were me, I'd rule out the fixed power ACOGS....I dont' think you gain anything from them for what you want to do.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The accupoint would be my first choice as it is a real bargin.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/LT%20EER%20SPR.JPG

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll give a +1 on the Accupoint.  

I'm the king of the cheap glass, so I had to take a DEEP breath before dropping the $535 or so for a scope...but I'm glad I did....it's a great piece of glass, and the simplicity of the reticle (well, post and triangle, to be precise) could be a real boon out in the brush.  

Bear in mind Trijicon has a mail in rebate...$50 on the 1.25x4, and it's good through October 1, iirc.  I'm sure Grant knows

If it were me, I'd rule out the fixed power ACOGS....I dont' think you gain anything from them for what you want to do.  

Well stated Fenian
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top