Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 8:17:04 PM EDT
OK i'm an idiot, I got the front installed ok but the rear doesn't seem correct.  I have a VLTOR stock with side sling swivel.  The instructions don't show mounting the SOP sling at all.  If I mount it on the rear side swing swivel the rifle doesn't seem to lay correct.  The magazine end hits you in the rear.  If I hook it the the top plastic tab the sling seems like it gets in the way when shouldering the rifle, but it does rest nice.  There was another 8 inch or so strap included that was hooked onto the rear but I have no idea.

If anyone has any pictures on how to mount this, or can help instruct my lame-ass on how to install this I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's see if I can help.  The 8 inch strip goes through the top of the rear buttstock through the openings above and below.  (If you are holding the weapon level with the ground, the "strip" is vertical, up and down through the slots.  The sling then goes through this strip horizontally.  Hopefully the picture helps

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/bobafett126/slingassist.jpg

The most important thing here is on the vertical strip, after you send it through the two openings of the plastic ring fastener, send the strap back through one more time to ensure the strap does not pull through.  The directions are pretty adamant about this.

I hope this helps, good luck and let us see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Forget the strap and fix it onto the QD sling swivel. Works for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I tried both. My extra little strap is too short to safely mount it that way.  It just doesn't make it back through the strap.

This is with the extra strap but it's a little too short

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7169/10002172lc.th.jpg

Shows strap too short

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4325/10002224jn.th.jpg

This is with the side swivel

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1032/10002189wj.th.jpg

So what do most people use?  Any advantage or disadvantage of either?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I called them today and its costing me $4.00 for the strap and $6.00 for shipping.  Yeah its only $10.00 but this is kinda gay.  The guy said I should have called them and made sure it was going to fit when I ordered it.  Yeah since I have so much f***ing knowledge on the AR15 I should have known it wasn't going to fit when the item I ordered says its for exactly for what I have.  Collapsable stock and bottom mounted front sling swivel, sounds like what I have to me.I think I'm going to call them back again, its only $10.00, but this seems shitty.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I called back and they seem to think I should have known better.  Yeah I know better that I will never order another product from Specter.his

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent Specter an email last night detailing my problem.  I recieved an email back from the CEO, Jeff, who apologized for the problem.  He detailed that they would make changes to the website to make it clear that the larger strap will be needed on some stocks.  He is also sending me the longer strap.  I appreciate the effort made by Jeff and Specter to rectify this problem.  I'm sure the initial questionable support over the phone was just a fluke.  

Thanks again for your help Jeff.  I look forward to doing business with you again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
That's plenty of strap on the sling swivel. It's not going anywhere.  Adjust the rest of the sling for fit.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top