Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2014 9:55:20 AM EDT
Hi guys, im building a RECCE ish build you could say and im down to the optic. I was dead set on the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 but i was just looking at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 standard cross hair. From the pics of the Standard cross hair Trijicon it looks like the cross hairs are really thick? is this just from the camera or is it like that in person? I don't have tons of money to spend, so is the Trijicon worth the extra $500 over the Vortex? im a new shooter but like to buy once cry once and i will be using this gun out to 300 yards max. Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the TR24 with triangle reticle.

I had a PST 1-4x for awhile. I was a fan of the optic, and I consider it the best bang for the buck in the 1-4x department, but the TR24 is in another class IMO.

The glass on the TR24 is much sharper, it's lighter, better eye relief, and the reticle is daytime bright.

And it shouldn't be a $500 difference between the two. I got my TR24R brand new for $699.00 just two months ago. And my buddy just got a brand new TR24R from OpticsPlanet for around $660 shipped just last month.

Just look around. You can find them under $700.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Could you give me a link to a place that has it for that price? if i could get it for that i would buy it. Thanks for your advice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Also interested.......I would love to nab a green triangle TR24.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're in for an accupoint, you should give SWFA a look too.  I like my 1-6 (FFP, good glass, killer reticle) but they make a 1-4 for a couple hundred less.  They often run pretty good package deals on the things too, i.e. this one that includes a geisselle trigger and surefire mag for $129 more than retail....

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Geissele-Trigger-Surfire-60rd-Mag-P64247.aspx
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The best i can find the Trijicon is $900. That is a nice deal above but i am pretty set on these two. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
There's no particular dealer I know of that regularly has the TR24s under $700.

I got mine from Primary Arms during one of their recent sales. My buddy got his from OpticsPlanet during their recent Memorial Day sale.

The cool thing about OpticsPlanet is that you can always "request a deal" to see what they'll do for you on a particular product. All you have to do is use their live chat feature, and say something like "I'm requesting a deal!"

They'll just ask you for the product code of the item you're interested in on their site, and almost always have a better price to offer you on it.

During their Memorial Day sale, they already had TR24s marked down quite a bit, but my buddy "requested a deal," and they brought the price down ever further - he ended up paying $660 something shipped for a TR24R.

If those two dealers can fairly regularly sell TR24s for under $700, I'm sure there are several others out there that can as well. I'd shoot some emails out, and just look around for deals. There's always someone running a sale, or willing to work with you via email.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If you really want the TR24 and will use it a lot it will be worth the money over the PST imo as the class is better and reticle is brighter.

I went with the PST cause I got it for $400 and could not find $700 dollar deals on the Trijicon. I went with the capped version so it weighs about a half ounce more as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I just tried and best they would do is 10% off listed price, an that's with the fathers day special.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
ok im thinking im going with the Vortex. Im looking at the Larue mounts now, any recommendations for a noob?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
LaRue LT104.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best i can find the Trijicon is $900. That is a nice deal above but i am pretty set on these two. Thanks for the input.
View Quote

Call the guys at sportoptics.com and ask them what's the best price they can give you. The TR24 is a decent scope but I wouldn't jump the gun until you look at some other options.

If your not sure what you want the PST is a pretty good way to go and you'll be able to sell it for not much of a loss when you're ready to upgrade.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Call the guys at sportoptics.com and ask them what's the best price they can give you. The TR24 is a decent scope but I wouldn't jump the gun until you look at some other options.

If your not sure what you want the PST is a pretty good way to go and you'll be able to sell it for not much of a loss when you're ready to upgrade.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested to hear of another 1-4x optic under $700 that's even in the same realm as the TR24 - I'd surely have to pick up a few.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ok im thinking im going with the Vortex. Im looking at the Larue mounts now, any recommendations for a noob?
View Quote
I suggest their SPR-E since the PST 1-4 has 4" eye relief.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone ever buy from FedTacticalDirect.com? they have a Accupoint for $775.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd be interested to hear of another 1-4x optic under $700 that's even in the same realm as the TR24 - I'd surely have to pick up a few.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take the PST over the TR24.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
To each their own.

I sold my PST 1-4x shortly after getting my TR24R.

Didn't even find them to be in the same class.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To each their own.

View Quote

I totally agree, I have never figured out this Vortex craze, I just don't get it...

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I totally agree, I have never figured out this Vortex craze, I just don't get it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To each their own.

Have you owned a Vortex PST?

Just wondering not trying to troll you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To each their own.

I have owned three different models from the Vortex PST line.

I understand the "Vortex craze." I do believe they're about the best bang for the buck in optics right now.

I just know that the PST 1-4x is not in the same class as the TR24. I wouldn't even compare the two frankly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I understand the "Vortex craze." I do believe they're about the best bang for the buck in optics right now.

I just know that the PST 1-4x is not in the same class as the TR24. I wouldn't even compare the two frankly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To each their own.

I know you have, but I was asking 77Bronc.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive got a red triangle trijicon. I dont thnk anything in it's price range can compete. A trijicon rep on here once said the 1-4x has to pass the same durability tests as the acog. That's saying something.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Check out the Bobro mount. I find it better than my Larue
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a question about the TR24.  How is ranging done with the Triangle reticle?  I see that as an advantage of the PST, but I don't know how the TR24 is used.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Having used a 1-4 for several years at ranges out to 500 yards, I'd look for a 1-6 if you can afford it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#26]
absolutely love my tr24G. I got mine from a local store for $800 out the door, and this was recent. That is the cheapest I could find anywhere. I spent 2 months looking for the lowest price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked through the Vortex and  on 1x magnification it was nowhere near as close as the tr24g, not only that but BAC capability with the tr24 allows you to use it like a red dotand locate target with non dominant eye while still having view of the triangle. The pst is not in the same class as the tr24 IMO
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Having used a 1-4 for several years at ranges out to 500 yards, I'd look for a 1-6 if you can afford it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This. Also, you can save a few bucks and get an AD mount
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
not only that but BAC capability with the tr24 allows you to use it like a red dotand locate target with non dominant eye while still having view of the triangle.
View Quote

That works w/ any optic... Trijicon may advertise the name "BAC", but its your brain doing the work, not your optic.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That works w/ any optic... Trijicon may advertise the name "BAC", but its your brain doing the work, not your optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not only that but BAC capability with the tr24 allows you to use it like a red dotand locate target with non dominant eye while still having view of the triangle.

Idk about any optic, pretty sure you mean lower power variables? but I will have to go try it with a few others.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Idk about any optic, pretty sure you mean lower power variables? but I will have to go try it with a few others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it has an illum ret., it will work. Keep the front cap closed, magnification is not an issue. Ideal, no... Specific to Trijicon, hell no
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I have used/owned the following 1-4s:
PA1-4
Burris TAC30
Trijicon red triangle
Vortex PST
Nightforce
Meopta K-dot and Z-dot
Leatherwood Hi-lux
Weaver Classic(1-3x)
After all that TnE for my main 3-Gun rifle-Meopta Z-dot. Illumination is much brighter than K-dot. Shorter. Clearer glass than all but Nightforce and ~99.5% in quality. Priced better and reticle much better.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If it has an illum ret., it will work. Keep the front cap closed, magnification is not an issue. Ideal, no... Specific to Trijicon, hell no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually closed cap over illuminated dot variable scope works VERY WELL.  I accidentally discovered BAC when playing with my Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm.  While definitely not designed for close up rapid target acquisition, I found that with cap down, where any magnification or image distortion effect is totally eliminated, I can hit within 3" of point of aim at all distances under 50 yards, and from that point up, I flip up the cap and the variable power takes over.  I was amazed at how easy this is and how well it works.   When the front lens capped is closed, the power setting is irrelevant.   It works with the same effectiveness regardless of whether the scope is set at 3x or 9x, because the lens is blocked by the cap.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top