Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 3:06:25 AM EDT
ER RN at work tonight asked me to help her find a decent AR that won't break the bank.  She's gonna buy this for her husband.  We priced some stuff (BCM, DD, LMT) and everything seemed to hit around $1200 which will not include tax and other fees.  I told her that maybe she should look at some other ARs that may not have the most desirable features which may be more in line to what she wants to spend, about $1000 to $1100 out the door.  Her husband is not gonna be attending any classes or probably even shoot the damn thing much, but she is adamant about buying him one.  With the preceding in mind, whaddya guys think?  What should she be looking at?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt SP6920.

Especially if he just wants a basic "type-specimen" of an AR, this is going to be the ticket.  They're being found these days at the sub-$1,000 price point.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Not knowing the inteded use hurts somewhat, but a solid budget helps!

If you've got a few weeks, consider this: Order a complete Palmetto State Armory (PSA) lower, then on a separate order on a different day, a complete upper. Finish it off with a quality sight, magazines and a sling, and she'll have something that won't embarras her (providing her husband knows how to run one! )

Quick and dirty pricing:
-PSA complete lower: $255 shipped + $45ish FFL fee = $300ish
-PSA complete upper: $435 shipped
-Quality rear iron: $150ish
-Handful of mags: $50ish
-Sling: $20ish
-Cleaning kit w/ CLP: $30ish

Grand total: $1000ish

[ETA: Beat me to it! A Colt under $1000 would be a no-brainer, if you can find one.]
(The "ish" accounts for rounding up, somewhat sloppily, to cover taxes, fees, and other variables.)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
delton kit + Surplus arms lower from AIM = pretty cheap!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:25:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not knowing the inteded use hurts somewhat, but a solid budget helps!

If you've got a few weeks, consider this: Order a complete Palmetto State Armory (PSA) lower, then on a separate order on a different day, a complete upper. Finish it off with a quality sight, magazines and a sling, and she'll have something that won't embarras her (providing her husband knows how to run one! )

Quick and dirty pricing:
-PSA complete lower: $255 shipped + $45ish FFL fee = $300ish
-PSA complete upper: $435 shipped
-Quality rear iron: $150ish
-Handful of mags: $50ish
-Sling: $20ish
-Cleaning kit w/ CLP: $30ish
Grand total: $1000ish

[ETA: Beat me to it! A Colt under $1000 would be a no-brainer, if you can find one.]
(The "ish" accounts for rounding up, somewhat sloppily, to cover taxes, fees, and other variables.)

Pretty much what I am doing for my wife.
Quality rifle for a good price

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Imo, these guys are giving you budget AR ideas that enthusiasts would buy. Based on you saying he will probably never shoot it and won't be taking courses for training.... get him a dpms sporticle, carry handle rear sight and fixed front sight. She gets him a rifle, and the other parts people mentioned stay in stock for someone who can appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Gunbroker SP6920 - $995

Here's an auction from a quick Gunbroker search for the SP6920, right at $995.  Plus shipping and transfer, it would probably be, as you say- right at $1,100 out the door.  

Here would be my opinion on this:

As you described it, it sounds like he's not necessarily looking for a "shooter" as much as he's looking to just "have" an AR to say that he's got one, impress buddies, and to occasionally shoot out at the range.  The Palmetto option is a good one for a hobbyist, but for this situation, I think the best bet would simply be to go for the factory Colt, a known brand name that he can tell his friends that he has a "Colt M4 Carbine," it's a top of the line carbine, a good, basic rifle, with the recognition that with no malice intended, I presume he's looking for as a casual AR owner.  Another option might provide more "features" but it won't come with the same status with his casual shooting buddies.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#9]
www.accuratearmory.com

They will take care of you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#10]
S&W M&P15 Sport

Pk Firearms
or
Find a dealer...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
The sugested Colts look solid but I shy from colts unless one knows exactly what configeration will be desired.

I usually suggest a look at the Stag line. Good solid guns with ease of swapping out uppers /lowers down the road as desires change.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Not expensive.  Decent quality.  Great Dealer.  DS Arms from AIM:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSAMid&name=DSA+Z4+MidLength+5.56%2f.223+Rifle&groupid=11

Another great option if they are ever in stock, Spikes from AIM:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical+Complete+Rifle&groupid=11
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#13]

This.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The sugested Colts look solid but I shy from colts unless one knows exactly what configeration will be desired.

I usually suggest a look at the Stag line. Good solid guns with ease of swapping out uppers /lowers down the road as desires change.

I imagine you're thinking of the older Colts that had the larger pivot pins when you say this, particularly as I see that you are from Conneticut and are more or less restricted to "preban" configurations which are overwhelmingly of the large hole size.  I'm happy to inform you however, that since the early 1990's, Colt has been using standard takedown and pivot pin holes, making it just as easy to change uppers and lowers as any Stag, LMT, or whatever else you have.  Easier, perhaps, because Colt did not backwards engineer the spec.

Also, since 2009, they've been using standard .154 fire control group pins, making them every bit as "mil-spec" as any other semi-auto lower receiver group.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Tell her to get an inexpensive DPMS or even an Oly and be done with it.  Sounds like the guy is not going to use it much and will probably end up trading it for golf clubs or something.  No sense in her spending $1200 on a rifle that she'll only get $750 for in a few months.  If she spends $650 on a cheapy and he all of the sudden wants to get into it then he can do his own research and come up with what works for him.  If she spends $650 and he'd rather have a Ipad or something then she should be able to come close to getting her money back out of it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of her and you get my suggestions...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#17]
This

PSA upper

This

AGP lower

and this
Cav fixed rear

or this
YHM fixed rear

Under 7 bills (plus shipping and ffl fee) for a quality rifle.  Only need a mag and a sling if he wants one.  Thats a great see the sun a couple times a year rifle and will hold up in an emergency zombie situation.

If he don't like it.....  I'll buy it from her for what she's got into it.

Oh and gorgeous hipower BTW.  Yours?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pics of her and you get my suggestions...

Inappropriate.

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy a stripped lower locally $125-150

Plus this

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2277.php

Plus a decent rear sight ($150), flashlight and mount ($100), 3 Pmags ($50), and print out detailed assembly instructions found in the build it yourself forum (free).

I would also add a sling and a nice Primary Arms dot or 1-4 scope  and qd mount when Christmas rolls around.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Cheap way out is Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport, $670 retial.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
S&W put the Sport on the market for this type of "shooter".  
He'll see the S&W rollmark and be perfectly happy.
With the extra $, he can get a an optic or scope and some ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#24]
My two cents...

Direct her towards PSA 16" Carbine Kit ($479, less the lower receiver).  PSA makes/supplies very high quality stuff.  If her husband has large hands, I'd suggest going with the Mugpul MOE Furniture Option.  Then, suggest a visit to a local gunshop that sells/specializes in ARs and AR Parts for the lower receiver.

She can let her husband deck out the weapon as he wants after completing the build.  Accessories are a personal choice, and her husband doesn't sound like a "Mall Ninja".  He may not be interested is adding five to ten pounds of rail, scopes, lasers, lights, forward grip, and bipod.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
no particular order:

spikes

psa- have some nice assembled uppers for low cost.

stag

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Surplus arms lower from AIM 67 shipped
midlength 1/8 wylde stainless upper from PSA 445 shipped
LPK 50 from PSA
buttstock kit $50 PSA
Larue LT-103 BUIS $70 used on EE
Total 682 + FFL transfer
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Surplus arms lower from AIM 67 shipped
midlength 1/8 wylde stainless upper from PSA 445 shipped
LPK 50 from PSA
buttstock kit $50 PSA
Larue LT-103 BUIS $70 used on EE
Total 682 + FFL transfer

This.  I'd say tell her to pick up a used carry handle from the EE to top it off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#29]
IMO opinion the Colt SP6920 is the best option for a few reasons.  Your co-worker came to you and asked her to help find her husband an AR. She is willing to spend $1k.

1) The Colt is less likely to have problems than the budget guns. If there is anything wrong with the gun, you will be the one who suggested it.

2) It's his first AR, so building any of it is a bad idea.

3) If he just doesn't like it he can sell it later and get his money back.

4) If he does like it, he will have a great AR that will last him forever.

IMO it is your responsibilty to get him the best quality AR that will have the fewest problems within his wife's budget. I have seen many, many people turned off of AKs forever because their first experience was with a crappy WASR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same a moment ago.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Everyone has got this ALL wrong.  If she wants to be the best wife ever . . . she should give him $1000 cash and tell him to get whatever he wants. . . except hookers and bourbon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:05:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
S&W put the Sport on the market for this type of "shooter".  
He'll see the S&W rollmark and be perfectly happy.
With the extra $, he can get a an optic or scope and some ammo.

Yeah, pretty much.  Keep it as simple as possible, once he's bit by the bug he can get something nicer down the road  SW customer service should help if the gun doesn't work at some point, as opposed to the build it yourself options.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]
There's no good reason to choose anything other than a Colt 6920.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top