Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 12:15:55 PM EDT
Here's my understanding of the cannelure situation in various rounds:

Hornady 68gr Match - ?
Hornady 75gr Match - YES
Sierra 69gr SMK - NO
Sierra 77gr SMK - YES, recently.
Nosler 77gr OTM - YES.

Is this accurate?  Could we maybe get a quick list of what popular rounds are cannelured and non-cannelured?  I'm going to be buying ammo for the next highpower season at some point, and if I can get good ammo that will double as SHTF ammo, so much the better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 12:42:46 PM EDT by DevL]
Originally Posted By eswanson:
Here's my understanding of the cannelure situation in various rounds:

Hornady 68gr Match - YES ALL IS
Hornady 75gr Match - YES- NO NONE IS FROM BH BUT SOME IS FOR TAP, HOWEVER MOST IS NOT
Sierra 69gr SMK - NO
Sierra 77gr SMK - YES, recently. BUT YOU CANT GET ANY SO IT WONT MATTER.  ALL FOR CIVILIANS IS NOT CANNELURED.
Nosler 77gr OTM - YES

View Quote

Recent Power Point ammo is cannelured.  All Power Point Plus ammo is cannelured.  All the M193 ammo is cannelured.  

Does anyone have a Federal TBBC 55 grain to see if its cannelured?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:22:05 PM EDT
I just bought some of the 75gr (new & remanufactured) from Georgia Precision, no cannelures.  I don't know exactly how newly manufactured the stuff is either though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:38:11 AM EDT
they lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!  I told you before they sent me a letter saying all hornady bullets have a cannelure.  It's either old stuff or they just don't have a clue!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:07:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eswanson:
Hornady 68gr Match - ?
Hornady 75gr Match - YES
View Quote

68gr = Not any that I have.
75gr = I think they were added in the Spring of '03.  Many older loads won't have them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:27:04 PM EDT
So did Hornady just start the cannelured 68 and 75 and they are telling everyone that all their loads are cannelured and we are having to shoot up old stock till they filter in?  Are they lying?  Do they profuce both cannelured and uncannelured versions?  Whats the deal?  

Brouhaha, is your 68 grain Black Hills or Hornady Match?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:41:28 PM EDT
Your comment helped me to remember some things, DevL...

I was wrong about Hornady starting to produce the cannelured version in the spring.  I remembered the events incorrectly.  Hornady had produced the cann'd version for quite some time for the military, but it was unavailable to civies.  Then, in the spring sometime (maybe VERY late winter), I was told that Hornady had ceased production of the non-cann'd version and had planned to produce only a single 75gr round (why?  I dunno...maybe to cut costs).

My 68gr is Hornady Match.  I have not asked about the 68gr, but it's possible that my stock is old and they started to add the cann.  I DO have some loaded 75gr with the cannelure (it was a mil load)
Top Top