Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2002 7:24:48 PM EDT
Howdy All,

I currently have a 16" Post Ban A3 Bushy with a ATN 5x33 Professional scope (excellent scope BTW) mounted with a pair of Millet rings.  What I don't like about this setup is the 2 independent ring mounts (and I have not ever seen a single-mount for the ATN scope).

I hadn't shot that particular rifle for several months (it was stored in my safe) and when I did, the POI was about an inch off.  That's just not acceptable - to have rifle untouched and have the POI move.

I would like to utilize the Armalite 1" mount (a 1-piece brick sh!t house) that I have and get a 1" scope for it.

So, the requirements are that the scope needs to be 1", 40mm objective and have adjustable magnification between about 3-9x.  With a 16" I won't be doing anything over 200 yards so I definitely won't need higher magnification than the 9x.

I'm considering the tried-and-proven Leupold Vari-X II 3x9.  Any other suggestions?  I think, IIRC, I've heard some good things about one of the Tasco scopes.  I also must keep the cost under $300.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
CMOS
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at both the Vari-X II 3-9x50mm, and a Nikon Monarch 3-9x50mm, and the nikon's optics were far superior, IMO. SWFA has the Monarch 3-9x40mm for $269.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Zardoz, will I have enough height with the Armalite mount to use the 50mm objective?

Thanks,
CMOS
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The VXII is inferior to the Weaver Grand Slam and Nikon Monarch, both of which are in the same price range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Under $300 1" = Weaver GS

Probably the best sub-$300 scope there is. IMHO.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
If its been several months the air temperature/humidity could have caused the shift and not the rings.  That is normal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]"If its been several months the air temperature/humidity could have caused the shift and not the rings."[/b]

DevL, I agree with you on that point.  However, it's a forgone conclusion that a single piece mount like the Armalite will have better immunity to variations caused by the mechanical stresses of temperature changes.  I live the AMT scope but there just isn't a super mount out there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Any opinions on any of the Tasco models?

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I think DevL meant that the change in temp/humidiy would affect the path of the bullet, not the "setting" of the scope & mount.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Mike, I seriously doubt it's just simple temp/humidity drift as DevL proposed.

I was shooting hand loads at only about 80 yards.  That's waaaay too much to attribute to simple drift.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
It could produce an inch variance at 400 yds from summer to winter but at 80 it should be under .1 inches so your right something is certainly wrong.

I think you should just buy a better scope so you can use the good mounts. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the Burris Black diamond series. Pretty good glass IMO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
DevL, I trust the scope.  I do think the issue is the mounts.  [:P]

CMOS
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top