I am building my first AR-15 and would like to buy a cleaning stuff for it.
1. Is a 22-26 caliber rod the best choice and not 17-20 cal?
2. Should I go with Dewey, the big dog? The Tipton carbon fiber rods gets good reviews at Midwayusa.
3. Will a carbon fiber rod not damage the barrel crown, or is that possible with any rod?
4. Any recommendations on a good chamber brush?
5. What type of bore guide is best?
Please chime in with any thoughts. Thank you!
1. you want the largest dia rod that will fit for greater restiance to bending.
2. I like the dewy cleaning rods, the ones with the Male threads.
3. it is possible to damage the crown with any rod, the less sections you have the less chance of damage.
4. USGI is the best out there, I also like those chamber stars for mopping up when I am done cleaning.
5. Dewy makes a good one, there are others. you deffentily need a bore guide. Some get ones with a solvent port.
6. bore snake is ok for removing excessive oil before you go shooting. I personally do not see them cleaning as well as a soild rod. They do work for a quick and dirty but are not the best option out there.
Don't forget your Plastix Plus cleaning stand!!!!