Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2003 8:16:04 AM EDT
I would like to buy a light and it will primarily be used as a hand held unit. I sell real estate and get into a lot of dark attics and basements. I'd also use it for hunting. I saw an advertisement in a hunting mag about a light (surefire maybe?) that had a blue lens cover that was supposed to aid in tracking a deer? Lastly, it would be nice to have the ability to mount it to the FF tube on my AR, although I really doubt I have a need for that. OK, what light would you suggest, what bulb, where to get and how much $$$? I don't need to land airplanes with it , but I want a tough light that is brighter then my mini mag. thanks for your imput-this has been a great board for learning.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a nice model, but it's a little more then I was hoping to spend. Is the LED that much better then the standard bulb? I always wondered which was better and from looking at the price, it appears the LED is better?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask this also on [url]www.candlepowerforums.com[/url].

LEDs are the latest in illumination technology, & are getting better & better.  You never need to worry about replacing a blown LED, as there's no bulb to blow.  Furthermore, the light itself is regulated, & in layman's terms that means the light will be the same brightness/intensity until the batteries are too weak to function, whereas a standard incandescent light will steadily get dimmer as the power of the batteries is used up.  
The SureFire L4 is probably a very good choice for you, especially the color filter option (available separately, of course.)  Sure Fire products are not inexpensive, but I can assure you you'll get what you pay for.
I'd also suggest an Arc LS.  I EDC an LSH-P that I added a pocket clip to, & it does everything I need & more.  I think the Arcs are one of the best kept secrets in handheld illumination tools.  Check them out: [url]www.arcflashlight.com[/url].
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
get your feet wet first.

contact [email protected] and get a [url=http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/878/sesent/00]Surefire G2[/url] package for $28.50, or so.  Buy some extra batteries for $1.25 each.  (Brightflashlites is cheaper than buying direct, and offers as good or better service)

Buy a keyfob LED light for minor uses.

Play with that for awhile.  It's a 60 lumen light that runs for 60 minutes, and it's blinding even in daylight.  Small, compact, lightweight, pocket sized.  Will blow away a 5 cell Maglite.

If that works well, start buying parts for shock isolating the bezel, mounting to the weapon, red filter for nighttime, blue filter for tracing blood.

When you find you love it, upgrade to a 650 weapon light and stuff the G2 in the car.

I haven't used up a set of batteries in several years, so while 60 minutes of runtime doesn't sound as sexy as the hours and hours of an LED, it's not too shabby and they are much more powerful than an LED.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
G2 sucks for the car.  Had a flat pulled mine out and it had dead batteries... no tailcap disable. [:(]

The differences in LEDs vs. incandescents have been discussed on the first page of this section.  If you read the first page or evern used the search function you would not have to ask this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
#1 - carry an SC1 spares carry w/extra batteries & bulb

#2 - you can buy a lockout tail cap, but at that point just get the 6P

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got a couple of the Streamlight TL-3's from BrightFlashlights.

I had been wanting one of the SureFire M3's for a while but the $180 - $200 price range was hard to juggle on my salary. You can buy 3 of the Streamlight TL-3's for that price. Plus, the SureFire doesn't come with an extra bulb ( TL-3 does )which would cost you about $21 for the spare Sufire bulb

I am extremely satisfied with the TL-3's performance and design. Especially for the price.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
G2 sucks for the car.  Had a flat pulled mine out and it had dead batteries... no tailcap disable. [:(]

View Quote

Why not just unscrew the tail cap a couple of turns? Works fine in my glove box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The M3 does come with both the MN10 125Lu/60min and MN11 225Lu/20min High Output Lamp Assembly.
It doesn't have spare built in like some flashlights to.

I guess that SureFire figures that if the bulb goes when in use the operator will discard the light and deploy the backup.

I don't think it's fair to compare the M3 to the TL-3 though. It seems more reasonable to compare the TL-3 to the 9P.

Al
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not just unscrew the tail cap a couple of turns? Works fine in my glove box.
View Quote

Probably because it does not have a tailcap disable so that wont do jack and when the button gets pressed after being bounced around in the glove box it burns my batteries dead.  What you are describing is a tailcap disable.  If you reread my post you will see I even mentioned the G2 has no tailcap disable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had a G2 for a bit and I like it.  But I was peeved at the cost of replacement blubs.  I've been waiting for something else to come out to compete with Surefire.  I just recently bought the Streamlight TL-2.  I really like this light.  It came with a belt/pocket clip and a lanyard.  It is just as bright as the G2 (as mentioned before, the lumens is overrated).  When focused, it has an oblong circle of light in the middle.  The Surfire is round, but that doesn't matter to me.  Now, with my TL-2 I can buy extra bulbs and batteries and not have to skip eating for a week to afford it!  It is a high quality system that can replace any Surefire if you aren't stuck on the brand.
Just my $0.0002  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you actually needed the spare P60 yet?
In my experience, just buying an SC1 Spares Carrier, putting an P60 and six SF123As in it will mean you won't need to replace the P60 in ages, years even.

I've never had to replace a P60.

Al
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Brightflashlights, do you sell Surfire's? If so, could you post a link (or anyone else for that matter). I've been looking on line and I appreciate your respondses-might as well buy from you. Where can I find you at?  

thanks to the rest of you for your advice. I don't know how I shopped before these forums were available!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Irecently purchased a flashlight from C4iGrant. I simply explained to him what my needs in a light were, where I thought I'd use it the most.

He suggested the M2 Surefire. I bought it. Happy as a pig in slop so far.

Grant will not steer you wrong.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably because it does not have a tailcap disable so that wont do jack and when the button gets pressed after being bounced around in the glove box it burns my batteries dead.  What you are describing is a tailcap disable.  If you reread my post you will see I even mentioned the G2 has no tailcap disable.
View Quote

Well, I did read your post and I know the G2 doesn't have the lock out tail cap.  What do you want for $30 [;)]?  Still, if you loosen the cap to just before it is about to come off, it is almost impossible to turn the light on without screwing it back in.  

It works for me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In my experience, just buying an SC1 Spares Carrier, putting an P60 and six SF123As in it will mean you won't need to replace the P60 in ages, years even.

Al
View Quote

I bought a G2 about 2 months ago to use for work. I have replaced the lamp twice. The g2 does not hold up well to being dropped. I didn't buy the combat holster for it and was just using a loop type holster. It fell out the first time and broke the filament. The second time I just plain knocked it off an ATM I was servicing. I now have the right holster.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I did read your post and I know the G2 doesn't have the lock out tail cap.  What do you want for $30 [;)]?  Still, if you loosen the cap to just before it is about to come off, it is almost impossible to turn the light on without screwing it back in.  

It works for me, YMMV.
View Quote

I have never had a problem with the light being on. I have the tailcap unscrewed far enough where it won't be accidentally pushed-on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]
It's interesting to read about your experiences with the G2. My experience of the Nitrolon models such as the G2 is the opposite! The Nitrolon models better protect the bulb against drops compared to the Aluminium models.

Based on reading other people's experiences of the G2, I think you were unlucky with thoses two lamps. Have you contacted SureFire about this? I would expect SureFire to replace them if I had experienced what you have posted.

Al
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't even consider contacting surefire about it as I just figured it was my own stupid fault.I guess mabye I will contact them afterall.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#22]
If you tell them the truth, they may take pity on you if it was your "own stupid fault"!

Al
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Problems with LED lights is they lack "throw" (range) and even the whitest "white" LEDs have a blue tint, distorting colors.

The G2 is a nice inexpensive light.

The Pelican M6 is a steal at $29.95.

The Streamlight Twin-Task is a bargain in the $20 - $30.00 range, and combines LED and conventional technology.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Al
View Quote

I gotta start buying my lamps where you get yours...

I replace the lamp in my 6P (off duty carry) and G2Z (On duty Carry) at least a couple times a year, and go through 8 - 12 batteries a month.  My M500 Lamp also recently took a dump on me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have you contacted SureFire about this? I would expect SureFire to replace them if I had experienced what you have posted.

Al
View Quote

Surefire doesnt warranty the lamps. They basically told me to pound sand when I asked them about it.

You might get ten years of light, or you might get 10 seconds, its luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quite a few people have said that SureFire Customer Service have sent them replacement lamps for free when they explained that the lamp went duff after only a few sets of batteries. They don't have to do this of course. I guess it may depend on who you speak to and what mood they are in?

Al
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought my father a G2 for his birthday last week -- between the two of us, we own a bunch of Mag-Lites of various sizes, and the little Surefire blows them all away.

I especially liked the nice smooth beam; I never could get the Mag-Lites adjusted without a bunch of dark rings and spots.

jafager
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top