Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/31/2006 2:42:14 PM EST
Ok, I am going to build my first AR rather than buy one. Here are my requirements: Mid length gas system, mid length rail, needs to be 100% reliable for defense, competition, and for a SHTF weapon. I want to use quality components to make it happen. I have a budget of about $1100 w/o optics, but I can be a little flexible.

Here's the sort of Rifle I have in mind:

Lower: LMT or POF 416
Upper: CMT with m4 feed ramps
LPK: ??
Trigger: Tuned RRA 2-stage
Barrel: ?
Rail System: Daniel Defense???
Stock: Mil spec buffer tube with Sopmod stock (not 100% certain on stock)
BUIS: Not Sure
Bolt: Colt m16 bolt? MPI bolt?
Charging Handle: Gas Buster?
Flash Hider: ?
Mags: HK 416 Mags
Winter Trigger Guard
Grip: ?

What else am I forgetting?

Also, this is important to me:

If it's the latter, you want a properly staked gas key, MPI bolt, MPI & HPT chrome lined barrel with a correctly sized gas port, proper F-marked FSB pinned perpendicular to the barrel, correctly cut feed ramps, correct recoil buffer, and good middle of the range values for all measured assembly tolerances (e.g. barrel nut torque). This last thing requires having the right tools to assemble an AR correctly, along with the knowledge to use those tools correctly (e.g. the correct sequence for tightening a barrel nut).

One more question:
I see a couple of different rails, some where the rail starts at the AR flat top receiver, and some where there is a slight gap. Which is better, and why? Pics of what I'm talking about (and I'm looking for a build similar to these rifles):

I know the first pic is the VLTOR monothilic system, but is that rail system available for standard AR uppers?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:49:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/31/2006 2:49:47 PM EST by redduck21502]
You can get an MI, Troy, or sampson FF handguard for that monolithic look.
MI would be the cheapest.

The midlength gas system usually comes with a heavier barrel compared to the M4 style barrels if you are watching your weight--on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:10:38 PM EST
DD also has a monolithic look free float rail. I have three of these both on AR-15 rifles and LR-308s.
DD Lite
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:42:46 AM EST
Thanks. I want a quality FF rail, I don't want to skimp on that!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:02:12 AM EST
Do they make a rail that looks similar to the VLTOR monothilic upper I posted? Is it a good rail?

Can anyone help me on some of this stuff...I'm still trying to decide on some of this stuff. Meanwhile, i will keep reading here!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:33:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 9:40:48 AM EST by splitbolt]

Originally Posted By Jason_R:
Do they make a rail that looks similar to the VLTOR monothilic upper I posted? Yes, Daniel Defense Lite Is it a good rail? Yes

Can anyone help me on some of this stuff...I'm still trying to decide on some of this stuff. Meanwhile, i will keep reading here!

I just finished a build sorta like that. Here's the breakdown.

LOWER-$463.00
-$105 Stag stirpped lower
-$120 RRA/WOA NM trigger or omit & use one in complete LPK
-$36.50 WOA lower parts kit minus trigger depending on above $64 Stag LPK...basically, going with standard trigger...save $92.50
-$149 Magpul CTR stock kit...incl. buffertube, spring, buffer, stock, spring, castlenut, endplate & buttpad or $79 CMT M4 stock kit...save $70
-$19.50 Magpul trigerguard or omit & use one in LPK...save $19.50
-$33 Magpul MIAD basic grip kit or omit & use one in LPK...save $33

UPPER-$982.00
-$289 Sabre 16"mid-govt
-$113 WOA upper receiver
-$129 LMT standard BCG
-$8 gas tube & roll pin
-$273 LaRue 9" handguard...incl. barrel nut
-$30 Sabre extended A2 flash hider or $8 standard A2...save $22
-$140 Troy rear buis or $90 LaRue rear buis...save $50

COMPLETE W/OUT OPTICS-$1,445 or $287 possible savings...$1158 complete w/out optics

The stuff in blue is what I played around with, but ultimately went with what you see listed. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:39:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 9:39:47 AM EST by Jason_R]
Thanks for the help.

The rail I'm looking for is this one:

But I don't know who makes it and/or if its a good rail. Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:44:24 AM EST

Thanks for the help.

i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/jayreg/midlengthbuild2.jpg

But I don't know who makes it and/or if its a good rail. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh...link
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:51:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 10:21:27 AM EST by Jason_R]

Originally Posted By splitbolt:

Thanks for the help.

Oh...link

Thanks. I saw that rail, but I didn't think it was the correct one...

Which barrel maker and and what length should I go with?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:38:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By splitbolt:

Thanks for the help.

Oh...link

Thanks. I saw that rail, but I didn't think it was the correct one... I'm thinking maybe the one in the photo was cut down enough to accomadate a bayonet

Which barrel make should I go with? I have a Sabre 16"mid-govt, 1:7, 4150CV, chrome-lined barrel from PK for $290...handles nice & a good shooter. I am totally satisfied. But, my next middy barrel will be a Denny's Operator. There are other good middy barrels out there, these just happen to have the features I'm after.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:47:35 AM EST
I'll check Denny's out....

I don't really want to have the rails cut down, but I don't want them to stick out way past the FSB either!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:02:58 AM EST

I'll check Denny's out....

I don't really want to have the rails cut down, but I don't want them to stick out way past the FSB either!

+1 for Denny's...great guy to deal with. From what I've heard the Operator will not disappoint. I can't wait to get mine.
I'm kinda' diggin the chop-job...I was considering that handguard at one time, but like you, I didn't like it way out there either. The solution was so simple.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:11:15 AM EST
Any idea what he used to cut it with? I'm not opposed to cutting it, I just don't have the tools/machine shop to do it. I'll see if I can find the guy who build that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:21:02 AM EST
Probably just a dremel cut-off wheel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:19:36 PM EST
Tubes
this might help w/ some more pics, all in one post
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:30:54 PM EST
I looked through the FF Rail thread...but I didn't see the one above...it's gotta be cut down!

How hard is it to cut them with a dremel? I'm assuming you'd have to refinish it after?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:42:50 PM EST
If you only want it to go to the back of the FSB, why not just get the DD 9.0 and not the extended one (to avoid the cutting)?

www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=23
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:42:59 AM EST

I looked through the FF Rail thread...but I didn't see the one above...it's gotta be cut down!

How hard is it to cut them with a dremel? I'm assuming you'd have to refinish it after?

A dremel should have no problem cutting through the alluminum. Take your time and use a steady hand. I'd cut it a hair short and finish with a file for nice straight lines.

You can use something like Brownell's alluma-hyde to touch it up.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:46:05 AM EST
I really like the look of the rail that covers up the front site base, and now for some reason I really want to have it. :\
Top Top