Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 11:46:37 PM EDT
Just bought a PTR-91 and a few boxes of the following. After reading the threads I understand there is some surplus to avoid, so what do I have?
1. Battle pack R1M1 on boxes and "WA 80 7.62 R1M1" headstamps.

2. L2A2and "51 POF 1980" stamp on yellow box. "POF 80 L2A2" headstamps.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
1-Is South African, good stuff

2-Is Pakistani, I don't have any personal experience with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Both Pakistani and South African are on the possible no-no list for JLD PTR's.  If they use a tar like substance to seal the bullet, that can gum up the rollers.  If I remember correctly, Victor at JLD suggests Portuguese, Austrian, and Spanish surplus (some others that I cant remember) or Winchester white box.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info Strat-- and Anjan9.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no tar like substance on South African surplus, perhaps you are thinking of Indian.

I use SA all the time without issue in my Century G3 (poor man's PTR-91) South African is also recommended pretty highly over at Cetme Rifles for HK type rifles.

Cetme Rifles
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The presence/absence of tar in SA ammo depends on the year of manufacture.  Some has it and some doesnt.  That's why SA surplus is not recommended for PTR's and other G3 clones.

Here's a thread from another board that mentions the tar in South African surplus.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The presence/absence of tar in SA ammo depends on the year of manufacture.  Some has it and some doesnt.  That's why SA surplus is not recommended for PTR's and other G3 clones.

Here's a thread from another board that mentions the tar in South African surplus.

Looked at that thread. Since SA 7.62 NEVER came in a 1800 round can I don't believe him. If he can't get that right I doubt he got the SA right either.

Never had a problem in M1A, Garand [308] and FAL. Since everything I have seen is 79, 80, 81 dated lately and I have had no problem with any of it try a pack or so and if you like it buy more.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Well then, maybe this thread might help.

Some SA has tar and some doesnt.  Pull the bullet and see if it as a black crust on it.  If it does, it's sealed with tar.  If it doesnt, shoot it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the heads up.

I've never encountered any problems with the 3 different lots that I have used. Any idea what the problem lot #'s are?

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top