Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 10:08:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 10:09:36 AM EST by JiveTurkey]
New member with what's gotta be an easy question. I have done a couple of searches that I think helped in some cases while muddying the waters in others. I've been shooting rimfire for a while but believe I've caught the BRD bug. I'm trying to fight it off, but I can't hold it off forever. Anyway, I've been looking at the Rock River Arms line of rifles, and am considering the Elite CAR A4 and the Entry Tactical (my understanding is the basic difference here is the HBAR vs. M4-type configuration). I'm interested in the 16" barrel and non-permanently attached FH in either configuration, but I'm trying to understand what makes a mid-length and what makes a carbine (assuming these terms are mutually exclusive). My understanding is that this has more to it than just barrel length. The Elite CAR A4 has the 16" HBAR and mid-length handguards, which meets my understanding of mid-length. The Entry Tactical has the M4 profile 16" barrel and M4 handguards, which makes me believe it is the carbine. I know this also has to do with the length of the gas system, but I don't believe I'm experienced yet enough to be able to identify that.

Appreciate your patience with a new guy. Amazing collection of knowledge here... great site!

ETA portion of title that got chopped off
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:38:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 10:40:05 AM EST by Quarterbore]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:13:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By JiveTurkey:
My understanding is that this has more to it than just barrel length.

It referes to the length of the gas tube and has nothing to do with the actual barrel length.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:38:01 PM EST

16" total length (perm attached FH-er) Mid Length

16" barrel + A2 FH-er so about 17" total

Forget the barrel length and look at the handguards.....The top one is longer, right? Midlength have longer distance between reciever and front sight post/gas block. Same overall length, but carbine is more exposed barrel and shorter sight radius (distance bet rear and front sight).

Generally you want more distance between front and rear sights on any firearm for more precise and stable sighting....Not a huge difference, but I notice it when shooting these two. Many get carbine or midlenght for the appearance...which one do you like kinda thing. I haven't heard or experienced one being significantly more accurate or reliable....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:15:41 PM EST
Excellent. Appreciate the quick replies! Very, very helpful.
Top Top