Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2005 6:23:17 PM EDT
I am building my first ar rifle, and I am wanting a target rifle for coyote hunting this year. I bought an olimpic stripped lower and installed a dpms LPK with kns anitroll pins and an accuracy speaks snigle stage trigger. I bought a Bushmaster A-2 buttstock and am now looking for a good accurate upper. I want the most bang for my buck I would like to stay under 1/2 MOA and would like a 24in barrel. What rate of twist should it be and who makes what i am looking for? Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:37:21 PM EDT
You can't pick the twist rate without knowing what weight of bullets you're going to be using. The lighter the bullet, the slower the twist. A 1-in-14 twist probably isn't fast enough for 55 grain bullets. A 1-in-7 is too fast for most varmit weight bullets. You should be able to get good results with a 1 in 9 twist with 40 grain bullets, and can still handle the heavier, longer range stuff.

I like the 1-in-10 twist on my Olympic Ultramatch, and the 1-in-8 on my J&T upper seems to work pretty well too (but I don't shoot anything lighter than 55 grains through it)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 7:56:43 PM EDT by metoo]
I have 24" stainless, fluted Wilson Wylde chambered on Bushmaster upper with 1:8 twist. Within .5 MOA using Sierra Matchking HPBT.
Good bang for buck. I bought mine through a local dealer , but M&A has same.

Very happy.
Top Top