Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/3/2009 3:19:36 AM EST
Short version: was working too fast and I forgot the spring on the bolt release. I need to get the roll pin back out and I am having a hell of a time.

Any suggestions, tips, or expletives I have not yet used?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:44:05 AM EST
Well it's possible to do without scratching and gouging the receiver. Depending on your luck results may vary.

If you have a roll pin punch the right size your odds go up.

Use some masking tape to protect the finish of the receiver some. Go from the selector side and knock the pin out toward the front pivot pin.

Hopefully you've got a good vise and receicer block to hold the lower while you do it.

Just tap slowly with the hammer so you don't bang the receiver. If you have a small hammer like a tack hammer it will help also.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:48:14 AM EST
you need the right sized punch, or cut off a shaft of a drill bit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:04:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 5:06:24 AM EST by SpecOps-13]
It happens. Be sure to protect the lower as mentioned, I use Blue Painters Tape. If you do scratch the lower, Birchwood Casey has a Flat Black Paint Pen that does well for touch up. When you've done the pin removal once it's easy the next time...

Good Luck,
SO-13
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:11:15 AM EST
To CORRECTLY remove that roll pin you need this: Brownells Bolt Catch Roll Pin Punch
It has the side milled away so you can hit the pin at the correct angle (Straight on) and it reduces the odds of screwing up your receiver dramatically!

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:54:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 5:56:21 AM EST by chevyrulz]
i use an allen wrench and a light weight hammer for roll pins, masking tape on any surface that could get damaged. definitely use a punch or an actual ar15 tool if they're available. allen wrench is NOT the best tool for the job, but it will work if you're impatient like me

i've used both sharpie and paint pen to hide finish damage, it worked great in both instances
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:55:30 PM EST
Got it fixed. I think it was a combination of trying it again when I wasn't so pissed off and by hammering the roll pin through the same direction rather than trying to hammer it out in the opposite. I doubt that played much of a part in it, but it did seem like going straight through with the roll pin was MUCH easier.

Thanks for the help everyone
Top Top