Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 4:17:59 AM EDT
Never seen this before.  Last night, I finally got the lower for my 7.62 build.  Built it and then went to function check some stuff.  Bear in mind it is a 7.62, if that matters.  Situation is:

I put in a mag with about 20 rounds of 7.62.  Pulled and released the charging handle to chamber a round.  the bolt went almost all the way forward.  It lacks about 1/4 an inch.  I think "no problem" and go to charge the bolt again and it won't budge.  It won't go back.  I now have the bolt with a round in the chamber stuck 1/4 inch shy and can't rack the charging handle.

Heck, I even tried to take it down at the take down pin, which doesn't work because part of the bolt is over the detent (i assume).

Any ideas on 1) how to get it fixed and 2) how to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like an oversized round or tight chamber.

Tap, rack, bang drill.

Point the rifle straight up,  holding the foregrip in your left hand.    
Grab the charging handle with your right hand and pull it downwards,
and at this time, bang the buttstock on the ground firmly.   Tap it a little
harder if need be.    This will clear almost EVERY stoppage.

Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a headspace gauge and a case checker gauge as well.
Make sure your chamber is to spec and your ammo is too.

CJ

+1  Could not say it better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I don't know how to check headspace.  Guess I'll take it to a shop or something.  Ammo is wolf ammo, which I've never had a problem with before.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Where did you learn that version of tap, rack, bang? TRB in the Corps is,

Tap is tap the foward assist with the palm opf your hand

Rack is rack the charging handle to chamber a new round

Bang is fire the weapon...

Is there any way to actuate the extractor to release the round? or is the bolt too far foward?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
"Is there any way to actuate the extractor to release the round?"

Dunno what you mean.  But the bolt is *almost* all the way forward.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
cmjohnson has the right idea.

Just grab the Charging Handle and slam the rifle butt first on something solid to force the bolt back.

Chances are a round was either crushed before it made it's way to the chamber or something is not right in the shape of teh chamber it's self.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top