Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 3:31:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, newbie requesting assistance.  I've got a post ban Model 1 and where the break meets the barrel there seems to be 2 rings split by what looks like a 1/4" inch wide weld ????  How do I remove the break ?  Will there be threading underneath, will i have to refinish barrel ?....all advise is welcomed....I was about to go at it with the dremel & decided to ask the experts.  Thanks Guys PIC BELOW

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/664/barrel3.jpg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a new "pre-ban" barrel.  Its probably cheaper in the end with all the hassles you may get into.
hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
 I was about  to ask this exact question myself. I called M1Sales Thursday and was told that that is a weld all around the barrel. It is supposed to be threaded underneath, 1/2-28 just like a preban barrel. I ordered a Phantom from Del-Ton on Friday. he

Craig
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Craig_OKC, I know what you are going through. Think i will attempt to remove it myself, and if not will do as you said.....repair or replace....let me know how yours turns out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I would chuck it up in a lathe and cut it off that way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, Droog. I have no access to any type of milling/lathe machinery. I'm lucky I've got a pocket knife!

Anyhow, my muzzle looks a bit different from  Cooter275's. I can only see one ring around the barrel. Unless I'm missing something, I'm going to start working outboard of this ring, and then go inward. until I hit weld.

Here's a couple of pics of  my barrel. (I HOPE!)

http://members.cox.net/cesmith1/images/DSC01462crop.jpg

and another
http://members.cox.net/cesmith1/images/DSC01463crop.jpg

Little BIG but I wanted to make sure they showed up well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Well, the Phantom came in the BBT today. I'm going to get after it with pics this weekend. My bro needs his digicam back, so I hope to do it on Saturday.

Craig
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Craig, couldn't wait any longer......went at it with the Dremel. Went through 2 cut-off wheels...but actually came out better than I would have thought.  Now the break didn't fare so good, but who cares.....I stopped cutting when i saw what looked like black threads,  and the break unscrewed by hand.......good luck

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/3820/bar1-2.jpg

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/2730/Bar2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Craig, couldn't wait any longer......went at it with the Dremel. Went through 2 cut-off wheels...but actually came out better than I would have thought.  Now the break didn't fare so good, but who cares.....I stopped cutting when i saw what looked like black threads,  and the break unscrewed by hand.......good luck

SWEET! Glad to hear it!

When you took the dremel to it, did you cut directly on the weld line, or edge up to it from the brake end?  I've been looking at my muzzle, worrying.

I'm really encouraged. Thanks for the heads-up!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, Cooter, I've found the real WMDs. Me and my dremel are Weapons of *MUZZLE* Destruction.hat
 Crap. Hope it looks better after I'm done than it does right now.

(Digicam batteries croaked on me, too.)
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Craig_OKC-

I found this thread just now when I started thinking of modifying mine.  Looks just like yours did, one ring.  Do you think yours was actually welded or just soldered on? I have half a mind to take a mapp gas torch to mine before the dremel.

What would you do different now that you've done it to get a better end result?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Craig_OKC-

I found this thread just now when I started thinking of modifying mine.  Looks just like yours did, one ring.  Do you think yours was actually welded or just soldered on? I have half a mind to take a mapp gas torch to mine before the dremel.

What would you do different now that you've done it to get a better end result?

Thanks

Tough call. The joint appeard to be pretty solid, so I suspect that it's silver soldered on. Don't know if the torch will get it hot enough without needing to re-parkerize the barrel.

I'd recommend a VERY steady hand, a receiver block, a good bench vice, and a heaping helping of patience. I actually got a bit too  close to the receiver end when I started, and didn't realize it until it was way too late. It's small, but the crush washer hides a lot of sins. :( Dremel at 25k rpm with a cutting wheel went right through the MB.  As I say, try to stay closer to the muzzle until you can see what you are hitting.

Good luck. I kind of wish I'd sent it to ADCO with the Phantom, all-in-all..
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my brake off!!!!!
10 minutes!  Quick shot of PermaSlik and she's good to go!
A large dremel cut off wheel made it easier.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top