Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/9/2006 9:28:05 AM EDT
Just paid a visit to the Yankee Hill website to see what kind of tactical bling I should get to go with my new upper. Looking to get one of their Phantom flash suppressors, I now find out that they make a whole family of them. Flash Suppressors, muzzle brakes and compensators.

Help.

As far as I remember from the chatter here on the board, the 4-port design was a fair match in performance to the Vortex, which everyone said had the best performance in terms of flash suppression.

How does the new "compensated" 5-port design compare against the original 4-port design in flash control? From the pictures, I noticed that the port design was changed and the twist at the end of the ports has been eliminated. Also, am I gaining any real "compensation" performance from the 5-port design?

The elimination of the port at the bottom to prevent dust kick is a real improvement. Dunno about the "aggresive front end", that seems to me more bling factor than anything else.

I see that YHM also has a Phantom comp/brake design. Does anyone have any experience with this design? How does the comp/brake to flash suppression trade-off compare against the 5-port or 4-port design?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

-Frank
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:54:40 AM EDT
i would go with the newer design flashhider for the closed bottom feature.

the 5c1 is the smooth face hider and the 5c2 is the aggressive one. go over to the industry forum and look up brightflashlights, he offers yhm stuff and a better price and he is great to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:58:14 AM EDT
I recommend the Vortex flash suppressor. It cost more, but you
won't be disappointed. Do a search for Vortex flash suppressors
and read up before you buy. The Phantom is a good choice, but the
Vortex is supposed to help a little in accuracy, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:34:20 AM EDT
I bought the older model 4 ports for my M4fake! Now I can stab when out of ammo
it might kick up sand/dust and grab brush but I still like it
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:35:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TXSquid:

+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:29:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 6:32:41 PM EDT by mach6]

Originally Posted By FMJ:

+1

+2 Yes, the Vortex tends to enhance accuracy. I read the 2002 and 2005 suppressor and flash hider test reports from APG and yes, the Vortex does enhance accuracy -- especially on the M249 and to a slighly lesser extent, the M4. The greatly enhanced accuracy on the M249 just couldn't be explained. It is still a mystery for the guys "behind the fence". Testing at JRTC on some test mule M24 SWS units, also yielded enhanced accuracy. Two Army divisions are soon to acquire the Vortex for several weapons in the coming weeks and months. What can I say? Picatinny lives in some kind of ether divorced from the rest of the Army. i digress...
You will see these V ortexii on M249, M16A4, M240, leased M24 SWS's and of course, the M14. Civilian concerns are for me...whatever. So get whatever flips your switch for your AR. More on the military programs to follow....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 7:34:03 PM EDT by 2tired2run]

Originally Posted By mach6:

Originally Posted By FMJ:

+1

+2 Yes, the Vortex tends to enhance accuracy. I read the 2002 and 2005 suppressor and flash hider test reports from APG and yes, the Vortex does enhance accuracy -- especially on the M249 and to a slighly lesser extent, the M4. The greatly enhanced accuracy on the M249 just couldn't be explained. It is still a mystery for the guys "behind the fence". Testing at JRTC on some test mule M24 SWS units, also yielded enhanced accuracy. Two Army divisions are soon to acquire the Vortex for several weapons in the coming weeks and months. What can I say? Picatinny lives in some kind of ether divorced from the rest of the Army. i digress...
You will see these V ortexii on M249, M16A4, M240, leased M24 SWS's and of course, the M14. Civilian concerns are for me...whatever. So get whatever flips your switch for your AR. More on the military programs to follow....

Maybe I'm tired or up too late but when did the army start leasing rifles? Or is this just DOD jargon I have not hear of. Not trolling this just struck me as odd.
Top Top