Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:32:54 PM EDT

YHM 9621  that seems to be required for their jam nut.  I have a RRA forearm that needs this tool or one close enough to it.  Problem is that most are sold out and/or want to charge $$plus shipping to use this ONCE.

Any experts out there know of a tool that will do the same job?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a drill press just make your own.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If you have a drill press just make your own.

Unfortunately no drill press.  Fabbing my own will take more time than I have at the moment.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Flat head punch or screwdriver worked for my yhm custom free float jam nut
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Flat head punch or screwdriver worked for my yhm custom free float jam nut

Yeah I tried that I cannot keep everything lined up or level.  With each tap either things will move.  I only have a 5" vise.  Is there another way to keep thing still while using the screwdriver method?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I installed a YHM forearm on mine using a flat blade screwdriver in the groove of the jam nut. I lightly tapped on the handle of the screw driver with a hammer. It worked just fine and didn't even leave a mark on it. I couldn't justify the cost of the special tool either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is the forearm I have.  The one on top.

If I can find a way to keep the forearm level with the upper reciever then I could try the screwdriver method.  But I run out of ways to hold everything.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Bridge the upper receiver and the free float top rail with a removable carry handle if it's a flat top upper and the top rail is designed to be the same height as the top of the upper receiver.

Wes
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bridge the upper receiver and the free float top rail with a removable carry handle if it's a flat top upper and the top rail is designed to be the same height as the top of the upper receiver.

Wes

The top tube in the picture is the one I have and will not allow anything to bridge the gap between the top of the upper rail and the rail on the forearm even if i had a removable carry handle.

I use bubble levels that work well until I put some man torque on the jam nut and the FF tube starts to spin with it.

I am going to call RRA and see what to do.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I know what you mean. I just bit the bullet and bought the DPMS barrel nut wrench from Brownells.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top