Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 3:17:54 AM EDT
O.k.  I have an Oly PCR 5.  I've had it for about 7 or 8 months with about 2k rounds thru it.  The other day I was shooting Winchester 5.56 thru it and it would try to double feed evert 3 or 4 rounds.  I saw double feed as in not fully ejecting the spent round and trying to feed the new round.  So, I shot it again after cleaning it well.  I fed several different types of ammo with different mags. Ammo:  Winchester 5.56 55 grn
      Winchester .223 55 grn (wal-mart)
      Wolf .223 62 grn
Everything fed well, even the Wolf, without any problems, except the Winchester 5.56.  Again, every 3-4 rounds it would double feed.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
As Olympic produces ARs chambered in both 5.56 and 223, perhaps your PCR 5 is chambered for SAMMI 223 and your running into the 5.56 in a 223 chamber issue.

As 5.56 is minutely larger dimensionally, perhaps it's sticking enough, due to the "tight" chamber to cause your problem.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Your extractor is letting go.  Need to install a new heavy duty spring.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I read recently,  where a guy went to one of these home building supply stores and  purchased small "O"  rubber ring, and placed it under his extractor spring,and it worked great. So he did all his ARs that way.
I  recently purchased etra extractors and springs and inserts, plus a bunch of other parts for  my AR, just in case I  run into such problems down the road. [:)]

TG
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, thanks for the quick responses.  The PCR 5 barrel I have is stamped 5.56.  I'll have to look into replacing the extractor spring.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The 5.56 being a little hotter than the .223 is most likely delivering a more violent gas pulse than the .223. This is causeing the extractor to lose its "grip" on the spent cartridge as the bolt is moving rearward. An extra power extractor spring will fix this about 90% of the time.

You may want to check your gas rings as well. Just as a maintainance CYA on a rifle with 2K+. Worn gas rings can cause short stroking as well but it is usually the ejector spring.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Oly sells a HTU (HiTechUpgrade Kit) that has everything in you need. Its on their website under AR/PCR accessories. I bought the kit myself, it is a good deal.

[url]www.olyarms.com[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top