Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2004 6:03:46 AM EDT
Is this wear normal by the recess for the locking lug?  I am afraid my bolt is trying to lock up too soon and the cam pin is rubbing on the inside of the upper just before it gets into the recess.  This upper has alot of round through it so I don't know if this wear is normal?

Link Posted: 7/17/2004 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Fairly common. Some I have have a groove cut in them there from shooting a lot. Seems worse on barrels shorter than 20" on my guns.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I realy dont think it is a problem. As long as it is still locking up it should be fine...
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fairly common. Some I have have a groove cut in them there from shooting a lot. Seems worse on barrels shorter than 20" on my guns.

That is what this looks like, a grove.  It has an 11.5" barrel so that might explain somthing.  The upper does run fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember, with the short gas system on the Carbines, the gas is tapped off at DOUBLE the pressure of the full length gas system rifles. This DOES cause more violent cycling of the bolt and carrier, which quite possibly MAY have something to do with this.

I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me.

Lonny
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Its normal and I have a little more wear  on my carbines as oposed to my full size rifle,dont worry about it as long as its running fine.One of my uppers is 12 years old and after 2 rebarellings and a bolt change and hammer change and thousands of rounds its still running nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Normal. I recall Tweak stated this kind of wear happens during extraction.

The cam pin does contact inside the upper... it's what keeps the bolt from rotating when the bolt locks to the rear or when first contacting (while chambering) the top round from a magazine.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top