Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 6:40:41 PM EDT
Ok I have put together a RRA lower and and J&T kit before.  it is not hard, just a series of baby steps.

over time I have been buying parts.

Tonight I was putting together a Mega lower with a DPMS Lower part kit.

The take down pins will not fit.  the front will go in about 1/4 inch and it binds.  the rear will not go in at all.

has anyone had this problem?

What should I do?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
doesnt' make much sense, if the holes are drilled off center, you should still be able to insert the front pivot pin all the way through.  Did you check and see if the diameter of the holes are the same on the lower and upper?  did you visually inspect the holes to see if they line up?  Check and see if the holes are drilled at an angle.

Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I did try the take down pins in both a Eagle Arms and two Megas that I have on hand.

I am digital camera poor.

I am thinking that the pins are out of spec. ??

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just don't see how you can insert the pin 1/4" but not all the way through.  does the front pin go through both holes on the lower?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
it will only insert part of the way, not both holes in the front of the reciver.

I have the right pin, inserting from the right to left with the flat part of the pin to the rear.

It seems to me that the pins are out of spec.

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If the pins wont go in on any lower you have, then the pins are out of spec.  I havent had those pins out of spec, but seen lots of LPK's with out of spec detents.  It can happen.  Been hearing some strange things about DPMS stuff lately.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought these two kits back in april from midway w/ a birthday discount.

I might try opening the second kit.  the strange part is the both pins will not fit.

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you fit a 1/4" pin or drill bit into the holes?  The anodize may have built up too much, or perhaps they didn't ream the holes to .251
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I would buy the out of speck holes, but why would it not work on two mega lowers and two eagle lowers?

I guess I will track down a RRA LPK and give it a try.

any other ideas?

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Its probably the pins, and probably not the lower.

DPMS had a run it seems a while ago of out-of-spec front and rear pins.
I, and several others in posts around May time frame posted several threads.

My pins would insert until a slight ridge in the middle of the pin would wedge against the outside of the hole.  Both ends mic'ed OK, but the center high spot was clearly visable after buffing the pin with emory cloth along the center.

BTW if you call DPMS customer service they'll send you new ones. (800/578-3767 or 320/258-4448)
When I called, the guy asked me if the pins didn't fit.

See this thread for more info and comiserating souls:DPMS Parts?

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bought these two kits back in april from midway w/ a birthday discount.

Bingo! Same time frame, same retailer, same parts kit mfg.

(didn't see this the first read)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Brownells sells a DPMS kit and I have noticed it says the take down pins are not mill spec. I believe it says that in my Brownells catalogue too

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the replys,

I guess this is my luck to get a bad LPK.

I will give DPMS a call.

Badredfish

Up date - just got off of the phone  with Dustin w/ DPMS - they are shipping out the take down pins.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top