Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 3:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 3:43:44 PM EDT by ARKAR]
I already have two Colt ARs, a twenty inch barrel and a sixteen inch carbine.  I originally wanted to SBR an AR, but I came to the conclusion that one of the XM clones with the 11.5" barrel with the 5.5" flash suppressor is almost as short, only about 3 inches longer than an 11.5 inch barrel with the A2 flash suppressor and I can save the $200.00 transfer and the B.S. of getting it registered.  So, I'm considering buying a Bushmaster(complete) or buying a DPMS(buying a complete lower and buying a complete upper and assembling them).  I'm somewhat familiar with Bushmasters, but I'm not familiar with DPMS.  Which shoud I get and why.  If I go with the DPMS, it'll cost around $720.00, but if I go with the Bushmaster, it'll be around $890.00.  Is the difference in quality worth the $170.00?  Please give me some insight guys!  Thanks in advance-ARKAR.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:30:15 PM EDT
I got a DPMS last month. I did it because of the price difference as well. I really like mine so far. I can't tell you anything like "25,000 rounds and still going strong!" though because I haven't had it that long. IMHO you'll probably be happy with either gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:17:45 PM EDT

I have a Bushmaster M4/A3 with a 16" bbl and love it, however I have never had experience with DPMS but have heard many horror stories about their firearms. My uncle has three Colts and compared to my Bushmaster in my personal opinion is a much better product. I only paid $888 new. Stay away from the DPMS go with a Bushy, RRA, Armalite or a colt, if I were you I would go with the Bushy or the RRA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:18:38 PM EDT
Personally, I would get the Bushy.

Better barrel steel and it is guaranteed to be chrome lined.

I bet you would be pleased with DPMS as well, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 4:27:00 PM EDT by LattimerII]
DPMS will chrome line barrels but it's not standard.  I forgot that they do use 4140 instead of the 4150 steel bushy uses. Just things to consider. I plan to shoot this barrel out eventually and already have a Bushmaster replacement barrel on deck!

Went with bushy for replacement barrel cuz chrome is standard and 4150 steel for just about the same price as DPMS.

I really do like my DPMS so far.  Finish looks good, fits together well, and shoots better than I can! I don't know if I just got an exceptionally good DPMS or what, but I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:35:06 PM EDT
I just picked up my first AR , a week ago - a never fired DPMS - I emailed DPMS they told me the gun was sold as a complete gun May 2004 and are sending me an owner's manual.

I like the gun the couple of times I've been out with it - it has a big thick 16" barrel, flat top no sights -- the previous owner mounted a Bushnell Halosight with is pretty fun.

I'd get another DPMS and might well buy a lower for next AR/first build.

Just an other "I like mine" opinion.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:20:25 PM EDT
I have a DPMS AP4 (M4) with 16" Chrome lined barrel and it is a great rifle. And I saved a few dollars by going with the DPMS over the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:39:18 PM EDT
either one will make a great rifle.  get the one with the features you want.

Or, get a RRA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:57:42 PM EDT
I have owned both DPMS and Bushmaster rifles. While I currently own yet another Bushy, along with a JP, I would not hesitate to buy another DPMS. I do feel that the Bushmaster has a slightly higher quality then the DPMS, I do not have anything bad I could say about either.
Top Top