Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2003 5:09:37 PM EDT
I'm about to plunk down a load of hard earned cash on one or the other. I'm looking for some opinions or feedback on a choice between the Colt 6724 and the Bushy "Varminter". Both are 24" Flat Top models with free floating barrels. The Colt is equipped with a stainless barrel where the Bushy has a fluted chromoly tube. I have not had the pleasure of shooting either rifle but have read accounts of both being quite accurate right out of the box.

Without price as a concern which rifle would you hard core "Black Rifle" guys choose?

Thanks, mxkop
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:39:25 PM EDT
I have a 6724. fuctions flawlessly. 3 shots, handloads 69 gr sierra hp 200 yards the size of nickel. Love it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2003 2:54:52 PM EDT by Boomholzer]
I have a 6724 with a B&L 4-16x50mm eyepiece. It functions great, never a FTF or FTE. The accuracy is OK, nothing to brag about. I never reload for it but, I would still expect better accuracy with factory loads. I hate fluting, especially on a target rig and a "precision" barrel. That would shy me away from the Bushy Varminter. Why not the [b]Varminter Special[/b]??? Both the Bushy SS Varminter Special and the CR6724 come equipped with 1in9 twist rate bbls. Personally, If I could do it over gain I would get the SS bull-barrel target DPMS rig. [url]http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RFA2-24SP[/url]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:55:25 PM EDT
The Varminter is extremely lightweight for a 24" varmint gun. This may be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference. Its so light that its surprising. Its also very well balanced, not so front-heavy. I'm sure both will perform very well for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:08:26 PM EDT
I handled a 6724 today for the first time and I was a little dissapointed. It's just a matter of personal preference and of course tough to judge without a scope or bipod but In my hands the Bushmaster felt better. It was lighter and better balanced. I preferred the floating forearm and the trigger on the Bushy. I Like the Stainless barrel on the Colt and of course ...well it's Colt. I really wish I had the benefit of shooting each of them before laying down the CASH. Decisions, Decisions! Mike D
Top Top