Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2013 7:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2013 9:02:37 PM EDT by rvbrewer625]
It's a s&w ar came with 1 ACS mag.  I only shoot it at night for hogs. It's dark and when it jams I'm trying to get it back in action fast so I can hit more but I'm pretty sure it's the mag feeding.  Any way to help it feed and fix this mag.  I was going to buy 2-4 more mags but I hate to waste money if none will work.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 8:35:50 PM EDT
Try several different kinds besides the S&W that came with it.  Cproducts and I believe DH made a few too.  Isolate the specific problem and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 1:06:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rvbrewer625:

It's a s&w ar came with 1 ACS mag.  I only shoot it at night for hogs. It's dark and when it jams I'm trying to get it back in action fast so I can hit more but I'm pretty sure it's the mag feeding.  Any way to help it feed and fix this mag.  I was going to buy 2-4 more mags but I hate to waste money if none will work.  Any help would be appreciated.

pretty vague aren't we?

You know if you explained the jellly a little better it would help

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 1:29:00 PM EDT
Agreed on needing more info.  

If it is failure to fires you are seeing, then I highly suggest a heavier hammer spring. Switched mine out and my 5.45 went from jam-o-matic to shoots-like-crazy-if-you-can-ignore-the-burning-cat-piss-smell.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:02:13 PM EDT
That's the best I have, seems to be a feeding issue from the mag.  Next time I go to the ranch during daylight I will run it and see.  I'll just buy more mags and see what happens, I need a few more anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:35:19 AM EDT
Take it out and shoot it durring the day so you can see what it is doing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:38:22 AM EDT
Also take a pic of the jam too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:16:18 PM EDT
Tell us how you like the 5.45x39 for pigs.  What ammo are you running.  CHeck the feed lips on the mags.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 7:44:24 PM EDT by SLRrifleworks]
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:58:23 AM EDT
12 ACS mags for 18 months now, zero problems out of any of them. When did you guys buy these bad ones?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:27:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SLRrifleworks:

I've had 4 ACS Mags break the mag spring right in the middle. Caused much frustration until I figured it out. Could not tell unless taken apart.  Might have been the corrosive ammo getting to the spring ?

ACS took care of it. I just wash the mags out now every once in a while and don't leave them loaded.

were they asc mags or c products???

the c products had a poor run of springs and they sucked.

ACS took care of the springs for me

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:01:40 PM EDT
Shot it, 4 FTF in 1 full mag.  It's a c-products mag not asc.   All failures were from the right feed lip.  All rounds were jamed in the 10:30 position from the barrel opening.  All but 1 jamed in the first 10 rounds so can't put more than 20 in it.  Examined mag under magnification, right feed lip is not horizontal like the left but raises around 1.5mm from back to front.  It is also not as wide as the left side, lip that is.  It's very suddle but its missing about 1mm or so.  Took it back to the house and hammered it horizontal will shoot it again next weekend to see how it does.  I'll check the mag next time I get.  Cant streach the metal to make it longer.  Took picks but no time to load them on here.  

Pig effectiveness:  you won't find any cheaper rounds.  Hit the first pig in the sweet spot and its down.  When they run I have found it takes me an average of 3 hits on the same pig to finish them off before they run 150 yards, after that its woods and I don't go looking for them.  You can easily tell a hit because it makes a thump like you are testing a watermelon for ripeness.  If your looking to kill, crush and destroy cheaply its good.  If you want to find them and take trophy pictures this isn't it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:32:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rvbrewer625:
Shot it, 4 FTF in 1 full mag.  It's a c-products mag not asc.   All failures were from the right feed lip.  All rounds were jamed in the 10:30 position from the barrel opening.  All but 1 jamed in the first 10 rounds so can't put more than 20 in it.  Examined mag under magnification, right feed lip is not horizontal like the left but raises around 1.5mm from back to front.  It is also not as wide as the left side, lip that is.  It's very suddle but its missing about 1mm or so.  Took it back to the house and hammered it horizontal will shoot it again next weekend to see how it does.  I'll check the mag next time I get.  Cant streach the metal to make it longer.  Took picks but no time to load them on here.  

Pig effectiveness:  you won't find any cheaper rounds.  Hit the first pig in the sweet spot and its down.  When they run I have found it takes me an average of 3 hits on the same pig to finish them off before they run 150 yards, after that its woods and I don't go looking for them.  You can easily tell a hit because it makes a thump like you are testing a watermelon for ripeness.  If your looking to kill, crush and destroy cheaply its good.  If you want to find them and take trophy pictures this isn't it.

Seen this before. The rim is getting caught on the ejector. Need to take it out & bevel it downward to the 6 o'clock position on the bolt.
If needed I can get a pic i believe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:08:59 AM EDT
You need a different mag, spend the $20.
Top Top