Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 8:40:02 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to buy my first AR and need some advise.  I can get either a Colt LE6920 for $1100 or a Bushmaster XM15 for about $825.  To me, they look about the same.  Is there that much of a differece in quality between the 2?  I heard from some people who feel the Colts are over priced but others swear by them.  What are the main differences and what do you recommend.  I'm not sure if I will start modding it but I'm sure I will eventually.  

I'm looking to make a purchase in the next couple of days.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the Colt, the upper is milspec, everything is as it should be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for being a new guy but what's the advantage of being Military Spec?  Can it do more?  Can more be done to it?  Sorry for the ignorance but I'm trying to learn.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
No, and really, a Bushmaster will do almost everythig the Colt will, but some components will not fit as well. Mostly you just end up with a product that is "almost" as good. The actual M4 has a receiver that is like 4 hundredths of an inch higher. The inspections Colt performs are better too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt also has a better collapsing stock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, ok. So now the semi-automatic AR15 variants are milspec? Since when?

That Colt won't do anything different or better than the Bushmaster. If you want to pay $275 more for a pony on your lower, go right ahead. I have a snake on mine and with the extra $275 I saved, I bought a bunch of NIW USGI mags and 1000 rounds of Q3131A.

It's your money and your gonna spend the hell out of it once the sickness takes over, but i'd definately go with the Bushy.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Uh, ok. So now the semi-automatic AR15 variants are milspec? Since when?

That Colt won't do anything different or better than the Bushmaster. If you want to pay $275 more for a pony on your lower, go right ahead. I have a snake on mine and with the extra $275 I saved, I bought a bunch of NIW USGI mags and 1000 rounds of Q3131A.

It's your money and your gonna spend the hell out of it once the sickness takes over, but i'd definately go with the Bushy.

HS1

Colt produces its LE components to the military standard, with differenced in the FCG, internal dimensions of the lower, and barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 Bushy
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
So is combat jack correct when he says the Colt's components fit better?  Does that mean the Colt is easier to mix and match with other makers?  I guess I'm confused by that comment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt makes their stuff dimensionally to MIL spec. They also do more QC inspections to their bolts (magnaflux for cracks), and put a radius on the cam pin hole. They also stake every carrier that leaves their factory, something Bushmaster can't claim.

Don't take me wrong, I have 2 Bushmaster uppers, and both have ran 100% for me to date.

But my next rifle will be Colt.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
do what I did, buy both.  I baby the colt and shoot the living crap out of the bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I would buy the Bushy for the simple fact that Colts corporate position is that civilians should not be able to buy their AR's in no-ban form.  Sorry, if you don't want me to own your weapons, then I  WON'T.  

You will be 1 in a hundred if you ever have a complaint with a Bushy, and if you do, their customer service is top notch, another buying point right there.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You will be 1 in a hundred if you ever have a complaint with a Bushy, and if you do, their customer service is top notch, another buying point right there.

Don't forget that Bushmaster is an AR15.com sponsor. Colt isn't !!!

Also Colt doesn't care about the civilian market. They don't deserve your money.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=29&t=144149

HS1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the Colt!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]
BUSHMASTER all the way!

save mokney, support the companies that support YOU!

it'll work just as well if not beter
besides, the rattler looks cooler
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#15]
What about Rock River? Thay are as good as both...maybe even better!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt AR’s “normally” run around $100 (+/-) more than a Bushmaster in the same configuration.  For that amount I would say it’s definitely worth it.  On a Colt LE6920 you get the M4 feed ramps, M4 handguards, side sling mount and better stock (?).

I have used both Colt and Bushmaster AR’s in the line of duty.  IMHO, if they are in the same basic configuration, Colt is not worth $275 more than a Bushmaster.

Ray    
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a BM fan, but if you are interested in the LE6920, SteyrAUG has a deal going on in the EE. $1,035.75 + s/h. No sales tax since you don't live in Florida.  

So
$1,035.75+
s/h+
transfer fee=
Total, around $1,085.00

Just something to think about. If the rifle you are looking at is in your state, the FFL/dealer will charge sales tax.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt may or may not actually be better. Even if they are I think people need to stand for something. When I look at some of the Colt politics I will always buy Bushmaster or Fulton Armory. When I want something niceer I buy Fulton. The choice is yours, however this is one area where I am making my stand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I have both and like both.  

Some of the top instructiors like Pat Rogers, say they see less problems out of Colt during a class.  Remember, Colt has been making these since the 60's.  They have to pass the Government tests and inspections.

Whenever FN is allowed to sell a semi version of their M16 I'm going to buy one of those.

But................for our purposes Colt or Bushmaster will do the job and Bushmaster has better Customer Service.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Bushmaster for me.  The handguards fits my smaller hands.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have both and like both.  

quote]

Ditto, for the money the Bushmaster is the better deal though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
BUSHMASTER

Colt has totally alienated their civilian client base.  Screw those infidels.

So is combat jack correct when he says the Colt's components fit better? Does that mean the Colt is easier to mix and match with other makers? I guess I'm confused by that comment.

Hell no.  Everything fits just as fine in a Bushmaster.

ETA: IMHO, with Colt, you're buying a name, nothing more.
P.S. Ever consider building one?  You can find MEGA stripped lowers online for $90; couple that with a Model 1 Sales or J&T distributing upper + lower parts kit and you're set with a high quality rifle in the high 500-low 600 dollar price range.  The only work you'd have to do is construct the lower (www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688) and connect the two halves.  Easy-peasy, Japanesey.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
+1 Bushy

colt doesnt want you to buy their ar's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy the Bushmaster.  The Colt guys found ONE bad Bushmaster rifle passed it on to each other so that they could all say that they all owned a shitty Bushmaster rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 Bushy.  

I have two.  I shoot the piss out of them, don't  clean them very often and they've always worked.  

BM supports this forum and is civilian friendly.  The BM products are cheaper.  Buying a Colt over a BM won't make you a better shooter, but buying and shooting more ammo just might!

I've heard people say the a friend of a friend's cousin had a BM that had a loose key on the bolt.  I've never seen one.  If you don't inspect your bolt, carrier, etc AND if you can't tighten a key on a carrier - then you're a moron anyway that shouldn't own a rifle in the first place.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've heard people say the a friend of a friend's cousin had a BM that had a loose key on the bolt...

Yeah I think mongo001 said it right.  That seems to be one that can never be traced.  BTW My bushmaster shoots like a champ!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Bushy, fuck colt and their fucked up lowers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Got 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other. No difference except logos. Interchange uppers, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Which model for BM is comparable to the LE6920. Im on order for one right now but if I can get a bushy now ill take that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Get the LE6920!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Bushmaster all the way.  There is no reason to support a company (like Colt) that doesnt support us civilians.   Besides, again, why pay $275 more just to have a pony on your reciever?  The Bushmaster is every bit as good and will function flawlessly, screw Colt because they dont care about us.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#32]
These Colt vs. Bushmaster threads are getting soooooooooooooooooooo predictable.

I can set my watch to it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually, it's been very insitefull for me.  I had no idea about Colt not supporting the public market.  I thought it was strickly based on performance and prestige thing.  I was going to send my money today for a Colt to Steyr Aug but after reading all these posts, I'm leaning toward the Bushmaster now.   Dang this forum!!

hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#34]
BUY THE COLT!........I have two. All my friends own Colts, and two of those friends are police officers. We all love them, and they work flawlessly. I don't know what it is , but nothing feels like a Colt!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top