Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2006 7:41:08 PM EDT
I want to put together an SBR with a FF railed handguard covering the gas block.  Looking at the 10" to 11" barrels.  Twist needs to be 1/7.

What barrel do you guys think I should get?  Noveske, White Oak, etc.

I see the White Oak has the dimple drilled in the bottom of it for the setscrew gas block.  I was think about using the Larue low pro gas block.

This SBR will be used with a suppressor sometimes.

Also, I don't want anything that has to have a special muzzle device or suppressor to function correctly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
my 11.5  works great which i believe is a chromelined 1/9 wilson barrel...never shot a 10 but i hear there are some reliability issues with anything shorter than 11.5...on the upside for a 10 i have seen it mentioned that LMT is definately worth every penny, perhaps someone esle can chime in. some manufacturers will not honor warranty on suppressors used on anything shorter than 11.5... just something to consider
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
For a 10.5, I would get Noveske, Rock Creek if SS, or LMT if chromed.
For an 11.5, Colt or BCM. Custom ordered Noveske or Rock Creek if I needed SS.
For a 12.5, Rock Creek or Noveske.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For a 10.5, I would get Noveske, Rock Creek if SS, or LMT if chromed.
For an 11.5, Colt or BCM. Custom ordered Noveske or Rock Creek if I needed SS.
For a 12.5, Rock Creek or Noveske.

The Colt and LMT are out of the question for the moment as I don't want a fixed FSB and I don't want to remove a FSB for a low pro gas block.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
**Edit**

Just looked at Noveske. Looks like that is where my next barrel will come from.

That 7.5" w/krink is just calling to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
What profile do you want light or heavy? Light I would go CMMG heavy or med. Noveske. Both 10.5
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What profile do you want light or heavy? Light I would go CMMG heavy or med. Noveske. Both 10.5

Does CMMG offer barrels with low profile gas block or would I have to have one installed by someone else?

I would say meduim contour for now.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
btt for more input
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
LMT upper with 10.5" barrel and LaRue 9.0 handguards and LaRue low-profile gas block and Vortex flash suppressor:

Excellent combination and no problems with function.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
LMT upper with 10.5" barrel and LaRue 9.0 handguards and LaRue low-profile gas block and Vortex flash suppressor:

www.fototime.com/0B740556112EAD5/standard.jpg

uxb,

How did you attach your low pro gas block?  What type of carrier are you using?

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
10.5" LMT w/Troy 10" forearm and a KX3, it uses a PRI low-pro gas block.
I am running a CMT semi bolt and carrier.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Also, I'm going ot want to known about suppressor compatability including flash hider mounts.  I'm looking towards an AAC SCAR-SD.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Also, I'm going ot want to known about suppressor compatability including flash hider mounts.  I'm looking towards an AAC SCAR-SD.

The AAC SCAR-SD is a reflex can.

It is 5.9 inches long, but only adds 3.5 inches to the length of the barrel.
This can be an issue depending on what barrel length and forearm you choose.

It also uses the same QD system as the M4-2000.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.fototime.com/0B740556112EAD5/standard.jpg

uxb,

How did you attach your low pro gas block?  What type of carrier are you using?

The LT gas block is attached via two set screws that rest in countersinks bored into the barrel.

I'm running a Colt chromed M16 bolt carrier system with Wolff extra-strength extractor and Crane O-ring and McFarland gas rings.  I also use an "H"-weight buffer.  Runs like a Swiss watch.

Edit: I do not have a link, but I read on here somewhere that someone was using the SCAR on this very same system with no problems.  He did upgrade of course to a PRI Gasbuster charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I use a 10.5" bbl with a LaRue 9.0 FF forend, am I going to have problems?

Or should I go with a Noveske 11.5"?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I use a 10.5" bbl with a LaRue 9.0 FF forend, am I going to have problems?

Or should I go with a Noveske 11.5"?

The 11.5 will be the safest option, and if my math is right, the SCAR-SD will be .100 from the front of a 9" Larue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Are Noveskes pre dimpled for the Larue gas block set screws?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are Noveskes pre dimpled for the Larue gas block set screws?

Noveske has his own gas blocks now, I would order one when you order your barrel.

edit: Because I didnt answer the question.

I dont know if they are predimpled.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#18]
The SCAR SD is NOT a reflex can... its not even a cantilevered can.  Its a straight up flash hider mounting can.  The SCAR-H SD is a reflex/cantilevered design as is the S2-R.  The fit of a SCAR SD and Larue 9" will be so close you may end up with tolerance stacking becoming an issue.  Id get the Phantom mount (standard) and NOT the SOPMOD flash hider mount if you go that route.  I am 90% sure the Phantom will fit and the SOPMOD wont.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
So how am I going to be able to attach a gas block?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The SCAR SD is NOT a reflex can... its not even a cantilevered can.  Its a straight up flash hider mounting can.  The SCAR-H SD is a reflex/cantilevered design as is the S2-R.  The fit of a SCAR SD and Larue 9" will be so close you may end up with tolerance stacking becoming an issue.  Id get the Phantom mount (standard) and NOT the SOPMOD flash hider mount if you go that route.  I am 90% sure the Phantom will fit and the SOPMOD wont.

With which barrel length?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My apologies, I didnt use the correct terminology.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Scott, Noveske has two options for attaching his new gas block. You can either get the dual set screw model or the one screw and pinned version (which I recommend as it's more secure). The LaRue gas block is a set screw only style. Either way, John will have your barrel setup for whichever style you choose.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott, Noveske has two options for attaching his new gas block. You can either get the dual set screw model or the one screw and pinned version (which I recommend as it's more secure). The LaRue gas block is a set screw only style. Either way, John will have your barrel setup for whichever style you choose.

Do they still make the 11.5" midweight barrel?  The only one I can find is a pre owned one in the EE.  I don't know if I like the full contour heavy barrels.

Also, I want the shinny metal by the gas port to be completely covered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Scotty,

Right now your best option is a 11.5" BCM upper, with the Larue lo-pro gas block. The Larue gas block will cover up both pin holes from the removal of the standad FSB.

Also, it looks like Denny (dennysguns) has the 11.5" BCM uppers in stock. He also carries most of the big name FF forearms.

So, according to what you posted, this is what I would have Denny assemble for you.

1)11.5" BCM upper
2)Larue low pro gas block
3)FF tube of your choice

If you buy it from Denny, he will assemble it.

I like to build my own uppers, but how can you beat buying quality products assembled by a pro. And that goes for all of the custom builders on this site, I only mentioned Denny because (according to his website) he has all the items you need in stock.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Scotty,

Right now your best option is a 11.5" BCM upper, with the Larue lo-pro gas block. The Larue gas block will cover up both pin holes from the removal of the standad FSB.

Also, it looks like Denny (dennysguns) has the 11.5" BCM uppers in stock. He also carries most of the big name FF forearms.

So, according to what you posted, this is what I would have Denny assemble for you.

1)11.5" BCM upper
2)Larue low pro gas block
3)FF tube of your choice

If you buy it from Denny, he will assemble it.

I like to build my own uppers, but how can you beat buying quality products assembled by a pro. And that goes for all of the custom builders on this site, I only mentioned Denny because (according to his website) he has all the items you need in stock.

I'm going to build it myself, thats why I was wondering what gas block the Noveske barrels were set up to take.

This is what I'm wondering about:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=388238

Here it shows the matte finish by the gas block on this guy's 12.5" bbl

www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=217045

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The SCAR SD will be a reflex can if you DO use the SOPMOD flash hider as the can will reflex over the barrel 1.5".

You can use this mount on both the 10.5" and the 11.5".

With the 11.5" The mount will be very close to the 9" rail. With the 10.5" you have to use a PRI or Badger gas block ( same set screw mounting, only not so long as the Larue) and an 8" rail.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#27]
That looks like a good deal.

I would bet you could use any low-pro gas block with a .750 ID. The set screw type Larue makes will cover up the "shiny" part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The SCAR SD will be a reflex can if you DO use the SOPMOD flash hider as the can will reflex over the barrel 1.5".

With the 11.5" The mount will be very close to the 9" rail. With the 10.5" you have to use a PRI or Badger gas block ( same set screw mounting, only not so long as the Larue) and an 8" rail.  

I'm pretty sure I want to use the Larue 9.0.  I take it the suppressor cannot fit inside the FF forend?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I want to use the Larue 9.0.  I take it the suppressor cannot fit inside the FF forend?

No, no suppressors will go on the inside of the larue, it's inner diameter is too small. If you get that 11.5 Noveske, then you will be fine with the SOPMOD, Larue 9" and the Larue gasblock. With the can mounted it will look just like the 10.5" with the regular mounts. LMK if you need help finding any of the AAC stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#30]
this is the bbl i'm running on my SBR

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl11.5a.asp

have run 300rds down it w/out a hiccup. would have run more if i had remembered to take ammo!
while not in the same league (depending on who you ask) with other SBR uppers i am very happy with my selection. and would suggest you look around, before making a purchase.
i am going with this  to top it off. paperwork is in their hands just waiting.

http://www.gem-tech.com/HALO.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
this is the bbl i'm running on my SBR

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl11.5a.asp

have run 300rds down it w/out a hiccup. would have run more if i had remembered to take ammo!
while not in the same league (depending on who you ask) with other SBR uppers i am very happy with my selection. and would suggest you look around, before making a purchase.
i am going with this  to top it off. paperwork is in their hands just waiting.

http://www.gem-tech.com/HALO.html

I was wondering why no one had mentioned the bushmaster 11.5" barrel either. What makes it not as good as the other barrels mentioned in this thread?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was wondering why no one had mentioned the bushmaster 11.5" barrel either. What makes it not as good as the other barrels mentioned in this thread?

Because the OP said this:

Quoted:
The Colt and LMT are out of the question for the moment as I don't want a fixed FSB and I don't want to remove a FSB for a low pro gas block.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#33]
What do you guys think about a barrel w/o FSB from CMMG?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been looking at those too. I like the 10.3". CMMG has a pretty good reputation but I have no real experience with their barrels. I will say I'm not crazy about the gray parkerizing but what does that really matter especially when you won't see much of the barrel anyway?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#35]
ar15barrels.com will build you a barrel to your specs. at a resonable price in a "relativley" resonable amount of time, check out the industry forums. As for rail, I'm not certain, but I belive your choice of can, (pistol caliber), will fit inside a standard Daniel Defense FFT.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top