Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 3:51:35 PM EDT
I was out today shooting a couple of my AR's and found this magazine that would only hold 5 rounds. It is a new magazine and marked Colt AR-15 and is identical to several others I have on hand. I guess I have just never tried to load this magazine before. When I got home I took the floor plate off and found this metal piece inside that limits the mag to 5 rounds. I got these mags off of the EE and they were sold to me as 20 round GI NOS in the original cardboard boxes marked 1967.

What is up with this mag? Can I remove the insert without harm or should I keep it?

http://home.centurytel.net/s3dcor/ARMag.jpg
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:27:54 PM EDT
You've been had, this is not a GI mag, it is a Colt mag from probably the 80s or 90s. hopefully the seller did not realize it, but he should make it right. You could pull it out and it will work fine, was there a rivet holding the baseplate on or a small hole where one was?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:45:47 PM EDT
No revit or hole, the base plate is exactly as the others I got, it does say 5.56mm, not 223.

Thanks for the info, I may just try to pull the u shaped piece out. I hate to bend the tab for fear it will break and ruin the mag and I don't think it will come out otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2005 6:42:39 PM EDT by j3_]
They used to come with older SP1 ARs. It is just a piece of spring steel that was used years ago to limit the mag to 5 rounds probably for hunting. The piece should come out with little effort and you will have a twenty round mag. You acutally got an extra piece to use if you have mag limits in your area for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:00:19 PM EDT
if they got it in there it'll come out, DON'T BEND THE TABS.  I did that on a 20rd with a block in it and broke a tab off and had to toss the mag
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:04:28 PM EDT
Top Top