Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:32:03 AM EDT
Please let me introduce myself. I'm Guy Powell. My wife and I own a police dog training/importing kennel in Longview, TX, and I'm a fulltime deputy for the Wood County Sheriffs Department. I've recently, and very fortunately, picked up a Colt LE Model AR-15 from a friend in need of cash. It came with the case, a 30 round magazine, a bunch of ammo, and a boresnake. The rifle had fired a grand total of 40 rounds prior to me getting it and I paid $800.00. Hope I got a decent deal on an almost new rifle?
Enough about me. I've been reading this board for quite sometime now and appreciate what I've already learned. I did carry an early model M16 in Vietnam, but that's been a few years ago, and I've forgotten a LOT about these weapons. If you would indulge a newbie a few questions I'd GREATLY appreciate some advice.
First, do they make Hogue or Pachmyr type grips to put over the stock pistol grip? The checkering on the grip tends to annoy me. Most of the replacement type grips, I think, are also made of polymer. I'd like a bit softer surface.
Second, magazines. In lieu of factory magazines would something like a Promag work okay? I'd like a 10 and 20 rounder to go with what I already have. I plan to carry the AR in my patrol car.
Finally, Barnaul/other steel cased ammo. I've always avoided them in my Ruger Mini-30 due to potential extractor problems. WWB or Federal at the local Academy sells for $8.00/box while Magnolia brand (made by Barnaul) goes for $3.00/box. It's steel cased and lacquered. Much cheaper for plinking, but is it safe????? I've wanted an AR for a LONG time and don't want to hurt anything.
Very sorry for this long post. It will be a pleasure to meet you all and I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again for your indulgence.  
                                                                                 Guy
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard! ! ! ! . . . . this place is the shiznit for gun nuts!

These guys know more about the wonderful AR-15 than anyone.

A colt for $800.00 with only 40 rnds through it is a GREAT DEAL! And Colt rules!

Spend a bunch of time here and learn all there is to know. .. .

Get a Hogue Grip, they are awesome!
I personally stick with USGI mags only. . .  try 44mag.com for good ones cheap.
I always shoot Wolf or reloads, they work well on a budget like mine!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard.  Now we need pics of dogs AND the COLT!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the warm welcome fellows. While I'm bothering you all, one more minor question. I've done a search already but couldn't find anything, or I wouldn't ask. Anyone here ever heard of Strike Hold? I use it and a FP-10/ CorrosionX mix on my Glocks for lubrication. M/Pro7 and non-clorinated carburetor cleaner (Walmart "Tech" brand @ .92/can)for cleaning. Okay for the Colt? Sure don't want to melt anything.he
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Congradulations on an excellent purchase at an excellent price. You saved between $300-$500 over buying your Colt new in the box.

I have Hogue's on both my Bushmaster AR's and they are by far my favorite grip.
You can find them easily in the Equipment Exchange for around $20.

Make sure to be careful when removing the allen bolt from your pistol grip because there is a small spring and small metal pin which is held in place by the grip. Keep the original grip pressed in the normal position when loosening the bolt. Once the bolt is totally loose, slowly remove the grip and remove the spring. You'll see exactly where the spring resides within the grip. Re-insert the spring in the Hogue grips cavity (obvious), press and hold the Hogue grip firmly into place while tightening the bolt down snugly.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the Forum !

They make a Nice Hogue grip which "replaces" the standard grip.........I think you will fall in love with it if you install it. It has finger grooves the whole way up and down the grip.

On lubricants........there are many good ones out there for sure............... but CLP pretty much rules when it comes to a new AR15 trying to break in. Keep the bolt and bolt carrier wet with CLP while firing the first 500 rounds or so.

JF.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome aboard and congrats on the great deal!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the board

Quoted:
Please let me introduce myself. I'm Guy Powell. My wife and I own a police dog training/importing kennel in Longview, TX, and I'm a fulltime deputy for the Wood County Sheriffs Department. I've recently, and very fortunately, picked up a Colt LE Model AR-15 from a friend in need of cash. It came with the case, a 30 round magazine, a bunch of ammo, and a boresnake. The rifle had fired a grand total of 40 rounds prior to me getting it and I paid $800.00. Hope I got a decent deal on an almost new rifle?

Good deal

Enough about me. I've been reading this board for quite sometime now and appreciate what I've already learned. I did carry an early model M16 in Vietnam, but that's been a few years ago, and I've forgotten a LOT about these weapons. If you would indulge a newbie a few questions I'd GREATLY appreciate some advice.
First, do they make Hogue or Pachmyr type grips to put over the stock pistol grip? The checkering on the grip tends to annoy me. Most of the replacement type grips, I think, are also made of polymer. I'd like a bit softer surface.

There are more than a few replacemnt grips and a couple of rubber slip on type covers. See EE

Second, magazines. In lieu of factory magazines would something like a Promag work okay? I'd like a 10 and 20 rounder to go with what I already have. I plan to carry the AR in my patrol car.

Aftermarkets are hit or miss with the cost of USGI its better to stick to them for real world trouble. STAY AWAY From USA brand mags. They are worthless.

Finally, Barnaul/other steel cased ammo. I've always avoided them in my Ruger Mini-30 due to potential extractor problems. WWB or Federal at the local Academy sells for $8.00/box while Magnolia brand (made by Barnaul) goes for $3.00/box. It's steel cased and lacquered. Much cheaper for plinking, but is it safe????? I've wanted an AR for a LONG time and don't want to hurt anything.
Very sorry for this long post. It will be a pleasure to meet you all and I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again for your indulgence.  
                                                                                 Guy

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to the fun house Im form LONGVIEW as well, do you ever go shoot at east texas rifle club ??????

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#9]
do you ever go shoot at east texas rifle club ??????

Hello, small world it seems. No, I've never had the pleasure of shooting there. If I don't use my department's range I normally just go to Texas Eastman's. An old friend that's amazing when it comes to shooting is a retired Eastman engineer. He still is, or was, a member of that Texas State Rifle Team and puts up with us "mere mortals."
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i got a thread going in the Hometown forum trying to get a group of us ar15 guys to get a shoot together so we can all meet. Us memeber out thier can bring guest so when we get it together we can just meet up at the gate and have some ar fun.. Got any pic of your new Colt oh thats a hella deal you got.  

Here mine
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
AR15 hunter, I work 12 hour shifts at the sheriffs department and am about to leave for work. I'd be happy to take a picture of my new Colt, which looks like everyone elses Colt I guess, but my wife will have to do it. I've got NO idea how to operate that newfangled camera we've got nor how to post a picture.
I've got this weekend (Fri-Sun) off and plan to go somewhere and shoot the Colt for the first time. Hope it goes "pop" everytime I pull the trigger. The idea of a "get together" sounds good to me. Please just keep me posted. We live in the Judson community just north of town.
P.S. I hate to admit it but I'm going to have to look at the manual just to break this rifle down for cleaning after I shoot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot plenty of Wolf steel case w/o any problems.  You can pick up used 20 round mags on the EE for around $15 delivered to your mailbox.

Enjoy the Colt!  I think they are the best rifles by far.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
First, do they make Hogue or Pachmyr type grips to put over the stock pistol grip?

I'd avoid slipovers on any firearm (handgun or rifle).  Houge makes a nice rubber replacement grip for the AR, and the Ergo Grips are available with a rubber overmold.  Both are highly regarded.

Second, magazines. In lieu of factory magazines would something like a Promag work okay?

HECK NO!
Stick with USGI type magazines ONLY.  Promags are bad enough in other firearms, they can turn any AR into a finicky machine.

20 round USGI magazines are available from a variety of soruces including www.44mag.com and SAWsales.com.  Bushmaster sells a decent 10 round magazine if you think you need one like that.

Barnaul/other steel cased ammo. I've always avoided them in my Ruger Mini-30 due to potential extractor problems
Wolf steel cased runs fine in my ARs, it should run fine in your Colt.  However the ammo is only useful for training (particularly at 50y & under) IMHO as its rounds have poor terminal effects and it's accuracy is questionable.

WWB or Federal at the local Academy sells for $8.00/box while Magnolia brand (made by Barnaul) goes for $3.00/box.

Buy ammo online, it's cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]
welcome aboard.
Things to get:
CLP or mobil-1
ammo
magazines, run away from promag and stick to usgi
ammo
ETA: avoid the olympic greek ammo like the plague and ultramax. Cabelas "bargain" ammo is ultramax and it's been problematic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top