Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 11:13:53 AM EDT
What does the "CMP" stamped on the bbl stand for?

owner of:
 Colt AR15A2 Sporter II
 Colt AR15A2 HBAR
 Colt Sporter Lightweight
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
"C" = Colt
"MP" = mag particle tested
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"C" = Colt
"MP" = mag particle tested

what's this "mag particle tested"?
don't know what that is
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
C = Colt  (B here = Bushmaster, FN = FN Manufacturing, K = SACO, etc.)

M = Magnetic Particle Inspected
P = Proof-load tested

-Troy

Learn something new every day.  Thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
According to this site, MP only stands for magnetic partical tested.  Whose correct?  Beats the hell out of me.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
According to this site, MP only stands for magnetic partical tested.  Whose correct?  Beats the hell out of me.  

Bigger Hammer is so far out of date, I quit going there for info.  They may have been up to date in 1990 or so, but not now.  I would take Troy's word on this one until I saw Colt letterhead that stated something different.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Troy is saying exactly what was said in the Colt courses, I would certainly cosnider it as true.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is semantic as the MP mark, magnetic particle inspected, or magnetic particle inspected and proofed -- take your choice,  is put on all at one time after both procedures are conducted.  Procedure starts with proof firing but there is no mark for just proof fired  only for the complete procedure of firing and inspection.  

A case could be made either way and the milspec is non-specific.  Logically since proof firing is done before MP inspection the mark should be P MP or PM if it was intended to mean proofed & inspected.  Regardlesss MP is the final inspection mark for a barrel or bolt which has withstood proof firing and a subsequent magnetic particle inspection.

This is from the M4A1 spec:

3.4.4 Hiqh pressure resistance. Each barrel assembly and bolt shall withstand the firing of one Government standard M197, 5.56mm high pressure test cartridge conforming to MIL-C-46936.  After proof firing, parts shall be free of cracks, seams and other injurious defects as evidenced by visual and magnetic particle inspection.

4.7.4.4 Proof markings.  Proof marks and magnetic particle inspection marks shall be applied on barrel assemblies and bolts that have passed this test.  

-- Chuck

Ok, Chuck, here's a question for you:  

I personally owned and have seen other "FNMI MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" barrels - the infamous "FN" barrels that aren't supposed to be in the civilian world.  Some theorized that since I actually had this FN barrel, it must have been some type of factory reject that slipped through the disposal process, but using your explanation above, which makes perfect sense to me, I'm thinking that the FN barrel I had wasn't a reject at all, as it was "MP" stamped.  Now FN and Colt are two different companies, obviously, but they are making barrels to the same milspec, so I'm thinking the testing would be pretty close.  Am I thinking way off base here?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top