Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 9:20:24 PM EDT
I am in the market for a heavier barrel for my Mini-14. The standard light barrel on the Mini-14 sags after a couple of shots and kills the accuracy of the Mini-14 in no time. Also, the grouping on the Mini-14 at 100 yards, even when cold, is not all that great.

I have my Brownell catalog sitting here in my lap and I was eyeing the Shilen Mini-14 Heavy Barrel (Page 37 of Catalog 55 or www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12380&s=29109#29109). It appears to be a good choice at .821 across, and 20" long, which would put it in the larger AR-15 size barrels.
Now, anyone out there own a Mini-14 with a Heavy Barrel and want to comment?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully I'm not just adding junk on here...  but my hopes aren't too high either..  I don't have any insight into the success of this product, but though I'd add it in the interest of passing along info...
www.clarkcustomguns.com
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Seen it done.  Cash to outcome ratio is not high.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The most "bang for the buck" comes from replacing the loose wood stock with a tight fitting synthetic.  I prefer the Choate Pistol Grip Stock, but also have gotten tighter groups from a Butler Creek Folder (installed way before the ban).

We spent all day at the range, putting the Choate on, replacing the stock wood, back to the Choate, etc.  And the groups would shrink and open up with each change.

You can get under 2 MOA with a scope and the synthetic stock.  I shoot 1.5" groups with 55 gr fmj (American Eagle and Remington UMC).

This is something you can do for under $100.  And 1.5-2 moa is certainly good enough for homeland defense usage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Even though I've always like the Mini-14, I've never thought of it as anything more than a fun gun.

Check this site out.
[url]http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com[/url]

I'd be curious if anyone has had any experiance with the harmonic stabilizer and if it works as advertised.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
had two customers transfer a Hbar mini from ARS in texas.
The same place as linkd above
the rifles did shoot well 1/2-3/4 MOA It however cost was well in excess of $1000 all said and done. For the same money you could get the same(or better) accuracy from a AR.
from the 2 i have seen they do get Minis to shoot
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
as noted above the mini-14 is a fun gun but if accuracy is the goal then you are better off buying an ar15 set up to be accurate than throwing money into a plinking carbine for which accuracy has never been a strong suit. may I suggest that the Bushmaster Varminter is a good out of the box accurate .223 that will out shoot the shooter for the money. besides this would give you a better tool for both jobs, as burning up a good barrel plinking is never a good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top