Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2018 1:52:18 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the A5 compatible buffers offered by Slash at HeavyBuffers.com? Do his A5 buffers include the internal spring that the genuine A5 buffers use? I looked on his site and it doesn't say. It just says they're A5 compatible, stainless steel, etc. IMO, the internal spring used in the genuine design serves a function, and I would like to retain it. His buffers are considerably more expensive, but with genuine Vltor buffers being difficult to find at times, I'm willing to pay the premium for alternative options. I appreciate any info you guys might have.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VLTOR holds a patent on the steel spring feature. As such, I cannot incorporate it into my products. I do use an elastomer 'spring' that performs the same function.

My testing hasn't indicated any difference in performance between A5 buffers with the VLTOR steel spring, my elastomer spring, and buffers with no spring at all.
View Quote
@Slash

I appreciate you taking the time to come here and reply.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of testing you've performed and why you include the elastomer spring in your buffers if this testing has indicated no difference between buffers with the spring and without it? Is it there to try and stay more inline with the original Vltor design?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Perception is reality. VLTOR's marketing has convinced some folks that adding a spring is beneficial.  The extra cost of the elastomer spring is negligible, so I give my customers what they want.
View Quote
Does the elastomer portion used inside your buffers simply apply forward pressure to the weights while still allowing them to move, or does it keep them permanently fixed in the forward position, preventing movement? In other words, do they still move rearward when the buffer impacts the rear of the receiver extension?

Also, while I've got you here, do you mind if I ask why you recommend using the Wolff extra power spring? I've always used Sprinco green springs in my A5 systems without issue, but considering you may have more experience in testing different combinations of parts, I'm wondering what lead to you recommend the Wolff spring.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The weights can move, they are not fixed.

I've done extensive testing with buffer springs from pretty much every manufacturer. Some of the most expensive and highly hyped springs are perennial poor performers. I recommend Wolff XP springs for most applications for a variety of reasons, extreme consistency and long service life among them.

Other vendors have offered me their wares at a lower cost, and potentially greater profit. However, I feel that my customers deserve nothing but the best.
View Quote
Thanks. I'll stick with the green springs for now. They are what I've seen most all A5 users recommend in the old A5 threads here and especially on TOS, which is what originally led me to using them. They've been in several lowers/rifles for quite a few years now and a couple of the lowers have round counts well above the 10k mark and they've been excellent performers so far. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone running the Wolff rifle spring that I can remember, but I'm sure it's a great piece, nonetheless. I do have a Wolff +15% spring in an SLR104FR and it's done its job well so far.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top