Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 6:46:33 AM EDT
Which ones do I need?  I know nothing about them so any explanations are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
bolt should close on a GO (good headspace)
bolt should NOT close on a NO-GO (excessive headspace, a "no-go" item, but may be used if it passes the Field Guage test;
bolt should NOT close on a Field Guage (really excessive headspace)

eta; I recommend the GO and NO-GO.  Don't mess around with a field guage. (ymmv)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster sells a fine set of go -  no go gauges or the field guage, I have both, but the go -no go ones would be my recommendation, get them from here: www.bushmaster.com

As to how to use 'em, it's pretty self-explantory, place guages in chamber, bolt should close on the go gauge and not close (go into battery) on the no go, easy peesy japaneesy.  

Mike

dang I'm getting slow in my old age..........
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

dang I'm getting slow in my old age..........

I know the feeling.  

Does the extractor have to be removed on the Go/No Go guages, or do I just drop them in and close the bolt?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't really know if one should, (seems I heard that somewhere too) but I never remove mine when I'm using them, then again I only use them to check when I've built and upper or replaced a barrel and it ain't never hurt an extractor or the gauge that I've experienced. Not like I use them daily and I never use them on completely new uppers bought with a carrier and bolt installed.

Good question tho, perhaps others will chime in with their take on this.......

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Does the extractor have to be removed on the Go/No Go guages, or do I just drop them in and close the bolt?

depends on the guage.
some you do, some ya don't

you do not want anything influencing the guages.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at the Forster guages at Midway HERE  It's in .223 Rem  I guess they will work in a 5.56 chamber?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was looking at the Forster guages at Midway HERE  It's in .223 Rem  I guess they will work in a 5.56 chamber?

Bueller?.........
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Read the FAQ.  You need headspace gauges made for M16's.  Semi and full autos have a looser chamber than a bolt action.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
OK !!

here is my experience.., "GO" & "NO-GO" are useless in checking headspace on most AR-15s !!

i have three NIB Colts & one Bushmaster that lock up on the "NO-GO" gage, i have 5 AR-15s i shoot regularly that don't lock up, while on the other hand i have two NIBs that will NOT lock up & 5 other shooters that will NOT lock up !!

but if any one wants to trade their "FIELD" gage for my "NO-GO"..., let me know !!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, what's a field guage?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys that have new barrels and bolts that close on a .223 No Go, I will buy them off you for $25 so you don't have a total loss.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems like there is no clear answer and I don't see a flurry of my rifle blew up due to bad headspace threads.  Some say I can swap the b/c/ch between uppers so that's what I'm gonna do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK !!

here is my experience.., "GO" & "NO-GO" are useless in checking headspace on most AR-15s !!

i have three NIB Colts & one Bushmaster that lock up on the "NO-GO" gage, i have 5 AR-15s i shoot regularly that don't lock up, while on the other hand i have two NIBs that will NOT lock up & 5 other shooters that will NOT lock up !!

but if any one wants to trade their "FIELD" gage for my "NO-GO"..., let me know !!

I agree, a Field is the only one to buy.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top