Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2007 10:11:13 AM EDT
I just got a new BCM complete bolt carrier group.  Do I need to worry about head spacing?  IF not I am just going to slap it in and be good to go. It is being used on a rifle that has maybe 300 rounds on it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the same question although I have a new barrel(CMMG) using a RRA BCG that has about 300 rounds on it.

I was under the impression that if the stuff(like the BCG and or barrel) is not pretty much worn out then the head space with any bolt should be good if the parts are in spec.

Reading a thread here about the barrel extensions and how head space is set, I hope this is true because I would never attempt to do it myself.

For purposes of making sure, which gauge should a person buy?  The Colt field gauge which is 1.4736 or a Forster that measures 1.470   Is there an M16 field gage available someplace with the 1.4730 measurement?

My head is spinning from all this..........
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
For complete peace of mind get the Go, No Go gage set.

300 rounds is "Break in" level wear.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would I need the go gauge?  I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I really want to know.  Since I'm not setting the headspace, I wouldn't think the go would matter to me.  I know the rifle chambers factory 5.56 Winchester ammo.  

I'd really like a GI Field gauge.  If anybody has a source????

The Colt field gauge seems right at the edge, but maybe that is ok too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why would I need the go gauge?  I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I really want to know.  Since I'm not setting the headspace, I wouldn't think the go would matter to me.  I know the rifle chambers factory 5.56 Winchester ammo.  

I'd really like a GI Field gauge.  If anybody has a source????

The Colt field gauge seems right at the edge, but maybe that is ok too.

Headspace

For complete peace of mind get the Go, No Go gage set.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top