Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:23:31 PM EST
Hey guys,

I installed a VLTOR carbine buffer tube on my 2001 Bushmaster and I'm having problems indexing it.

At the point that I have it attached now, the buffer tube just barely catches the edge of the buffer retainer pin. I looked at a couple of my factory Colts that have carbine stocks on them and the buffer tube cover approximately 50% of the space from the edge of the buffer retainer pin to the area where the pin sticks up (I hope that makes sense)

So I turned the stock one more time 360 degrees and then the buffer tube was pushing up against the buffer retainer pin and binding the pin so it could not be depressed. While in this position the top of the buffer tube protruded from the top of the part of the lower receiver that holds the buffer tube. It looks like this would prevent me from closing the upper receiver.

I removed the buffer tube and tried to re-index it (ie. instead of starting the threading with the toe of the stock pointing down, I tried to start threading the buffer tube with the toe of the stock pointing up) but the threads would not grab until the toe of the stock was pointing down.

So the problem that I'm having is in one position the buffer tube is barely covering the edge of the buffer retainer pin, and if I rotate the buffer one more time, it is then covering too much of the buffer retaining pin, causing it to bind and too much of the buffer tube is protruding through the lower receiver, preventing me from closing the upper..........Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:34:18 PM EST
I don't know if this is the "correct" fix but it should work:

Screw it in again until it binds the retainer and sticks out of the lower. Scribe a mark where it protrudes from the lower. Unscrew it and file off that much from the tube. Screw it back in. Should work now!

This is what I'd do, anyway. If someone comes along and says this is crap and the "official" way to solve the problem is such and such, prolly should listen to him....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:55:51 PM EST
That is exactly what I have had to do several times with various manufacturer's parts. It's not a big deal, just dremel down the part that sticks out too far. I've even had to do this with parts from the same manufacturer, but it is especially a problem with Bushy. Don't worry about it, just shave, file, or sand down a little at a time until it fits perfect. You will also feel good inside for a job well done. You can then use a little paint or aluminum black to make it look real nice, nobody will ever notice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:58:51 PM EST
I use a FILE too....=) works great!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:39:36 PM EST
What wrong with it barely covering it? As long as it covers the pin enough to keep the pin from popping out, thats all ya need. If it bugs you, take off a little meat from the top of the buffer tube with a flat file or grinder (go slow) so you can index it where you want. Lots of extra threads on car tubes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:35:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 5:37:01 PM EST by Stingray]
I don't even use the buffer retaining pin...
But if you do follow FALARAK's advice...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:48:33 PM EST
As stated above, as long as the detent can not pop out, it does not matter how much of the detent is overlapped by the buffer tube. One of mine has a 40% coverage, the other barely any, but the detent still cant come out. Invision trying to drop a ball in a hole with the same OD as the ball. If any part of that hole is obstructed, no matter how much the ball will still not go thru . There is no movement in any of these parts unless you are disassembling them, so there should never be an issue with the minimal coverage getting any more minimal if that makes any sense. just put it together and shoot it.... This is why there is Mil-spec and then everything else.........
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:47:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By 9mmDOE:
I use a FILE too....=) works great!

+1

Just don't do what one very proud, self-proclaimed "gunsmith" I ran across did; he used the file while the receiver tube was still inside the lower "to get them to match perfectly"

I guess black magic marker on the gouges in the inner curve of the lower helped in making them match...

Seeing that type of "work" on his "personally crafted and assembled" CAR ("it's for sale, if you want it"), I politely declined the offer to shoot it.

Cheers, Otto
Top Top