Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 6:38:26 AM EDT
I took my nearly new Oly down to learn how to field strip and maintain.  It has less than 100 rounds through it and for the life of me I cannot press out the front take down pin.  Granted I feel I can clean it fine with the upper and lower still attached at the front, but it would be easier to separate them IMO.  Will it loosen up if I just shoot the hell out of it on Sat, or will I need some other way to take it loose?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Lightly tap on the pin with a punch. The pivot pin SHOULD come out of the detent and move easily. Either the holes are off a little from the upper to lower, One of the holes is undersized/ pin oversized or the detent hole in the pin is too deep. Any of these is possible with an [puke] Oly. It might fix it's self once you take it apart a few times and break it in alittle..
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of the aftermarket pieces are stiff in that area.  They seem to need to have the finish rubbed off a bit before that pin will move freely.  I usually just put some oil around the joint lines, let it soak in for a few, then use a plastic punch  I keep around to bang it out. After you do that a few times, it gets easier[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Use a plastic punch. If you push the pin open and closed enough it will get loose and easier to do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with shamayim, a little oil usually helps as the anodizing will absorb this and aid lubricity.  I prefer them tight rather than loose.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
the more you clean, the looser they become.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top