Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 4:19:45 PM EDT
I recently added a new version of the M4 stock on my AR, the little spring that hold tention to the rear take down pin,   about 1/8" got twisted, so I had to remove  that 1/8", so that I could install it, t seem to have tention on the rear take down pin now, but not as much as before. Do you guys think the rear take down pin will come out during shooting my AR?

I have some extra springs that I'd ordered, wonder if I should wait, before shooting my AR?

Thanks for looking.

TG
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are talking about the small spring that holds the pin that stops you rear take down pin from comming out. It should be ok to fire without.  Just be careful when you break it open not to lose your lower pin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont fire the rifle without the spring the detent will move on its own and the take down pin will walk.I have a new style stock also and the way to avoid pinching the spring is wind the castle nut to the rear of the tube so its seated furthest from the front of the tube.There should be another inch worth of threads more than an old tube to you can wind the nut back farther at least thats how it is on my bushmaster assembly.That will give you enough space to wind the tube into the lower and not have the lockplated shear off the spring.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have the rear take down pin detent and spring still in the rifle you shouldn't experience any troubles. You said that you have some pressure still from the spring, so the detent will still push into the rear of the take down pin. I have seen people shoot rifles with no detent or spring and the pin never walked out of the rifle. If you are worried just check the pin whenever changing mags.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies fellas, VAgunnut, that correct, it in there like you mention, it does give the rear take down pin pressure/tention, but just not as much as it did before I removed 1/8" from the spring. Little things like that bother me.[:D]

TG
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Still for me in a rifle that gets carried and used alot I prefer the take down pin to ping into its detent,why take a chance especialy if its a rifle used for other than range shooting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still for me in a rifle that gets carried and used alot I prefer the take down pin to ping into its detent,why take a chance especialy if its a rifle used for other than range shooting.
View Quote

I agree completely. He should be able to use the rifle until his replacement spring comes without any problems.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
That spring's always a pest if one changes stock configurations from time to time.

The best fix is to clip the spring a bit short and tap the spring hole for a 4-40 allen set screw. Put the spring in run the set screw in flush and now you can swap stocks willy nilly without worrying about loosing those bits.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top