Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:42:00 AM EST
I have a stupid idea (maybe). I want to make a dcm free float tube but for a carbine length handguard. I am thinking about making a 6.8 spc and I want to free float it except I do not have much use for railed handguards such as larue, dd etc. Plus I kinda like the stock look. Is this a crazy idea or what? Oh, I don't want it for legality in competition or anything, just my own personal need.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:57:42 AM EST
I did see one somewhere. I think it was a custom job, but I did see one somewhere.

It wouldn't be to hard to have one modified. Just get a rifle length tube, have it cut down and rewelded. Unless someone has a source for premade ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:06:18 PM EST
I'd do the work myself. I have a metal chop box and a tig welder. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. One observation I have made is that carbine handguards typically use a round cap as opposed to the triangle for the rifle length so I'd have to modify that. I was thinking of installing the tube and then cuttinging it just slightly behind the ridge that stops the front fsb. Then ream the handguard cap so its just large enough to go over the step in the barrel. By doing this, the barrel will align the handguard cap. Then I should be able to tig the cap on. After complete, I can open the cap up to ensure no outside force is exerted on the barrel. The hanguards themselves may need a bit of filing to fit as would the slot for the gas tube but I think I'd be good to go. I asked if anyone has done it because I may be able to learn from something that has been done before.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:50:22 PM EST
Not worth the effort, IMO, when you can get something like this for this price.


Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:06:37 AM EST
Not for nothin but those look like shit. As I said, I want to maintain a factory appearance and I happen to like the feel of the stock handguards
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:51:22 AM EST

Very helpful! I've been looking for years for an easy way to do this. Your way will save some trouble. Post pics, maybe one of the manufacturers will finally take the hint.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:40:57 AM EST
I've seen what you're talking about, Justinhip...I just can't remember where. They look exactly like regular handguards, but freefloating. They're used for competition where you can't change the look of you rifle from stock. If I think of where I found them, I'll let you know.

Top Top