Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 4:53:44 AM EDT
Are there any kits, complete rifles, etc. that will reliably work with 7.62x39? I've not heard much, but most of what I've heard revolves around the poor reliability of the magazines. Are there any magazines that will feed 7.62x39 ammunition reliably?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My Model 1 works fine with a USA mag.  My MWG mags work ok but will jam with hollow point ammo.  Wolf ammo does not work well at all in my gun, it chambers but has a lot of FTF.  Barnaul ammo works fine.  I use mine just for cheap blasting.  Although not a tack driver like my Bushmaster varmint, it has surprisingly good accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The firing pin protrusion is different with the AK round than the AR round.  To get reliable ignition on the hard primered AK ammo, I and several others that I know reduce the thickness of the firing pin collar to get a bit more protrusion.  They also have a habit of breaking the bolts.  Usually one of two lugs will break off after a few thousand rounds "from my experience and that of others that I shoot with".  Stripped bolts are 40 bucks.  I use mine for steel plates and it works much better than the 223 round due to heavier bullets.  I have a USA frankenmag that works very well and the MGWs work ok for me as long as you don't over seat them in the mag well. Accuracy is WAY better than any of my AK type rifles.  Fun gun for the plate games, but I would not trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a rather ugly 16-inch A1 Colt 7.62x39 upper that I run with my SWD Lightning Link.  I also use a couple of the USA Brand Franken mags and I have had very good luck with it even in full auto!  The problem is always the mags and sometimes the ejector and bolt as mentioned before.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have several ars in 7.62x39, 3 of which I shoot regularly. I shoot Wolf exclusively and taking .015-.020" off the tail of the bolt resolved FTF issues. Also on FTF, I did experience some difficulty using FCGs with lower mass hammers. In checking with a Wolf factory rep concerning my initial difficulties with Wolf in 7.62x39, he indicated the primers used were "harder" that ones used in .223 because of the intended used in aks with more mass in the FCG, greater firing pin protrusion, and initial design for full auto applications. I now use the RRA 2stage triggers in all my ars. I have an assortment of the USA "frankenmags" all of which will feed properly even when fully loaded. My favorite 7.62x39 is my AR47 which accepts AK magazines. The disadvantage of the AR47 is cost, you will end up with at least $200.00 more in it than an ar15. I did a lot of shopping on my first build and found that a kit from Olympic was the best deal at the time. With that kit the only mod I made was on the bolt. With the USA frankenmags it shoots great. Any other mags and it is almost useless. The 3 guns I shoot each have over 2000 rounds and I have yet to experience a broken bolt, although I have seen this issue posted before. If you decide to go with a 7.62x39 e-mail me and I may be able to provide some other suggestions.

DanS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top