Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:58:34 AM EDT
What model do most people buy for use with their rifles?  I'm looking at the swivel series with the notched legs.  Any opinions on this matter?  Also, what's a decent mount for one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What model do most people buy for use with their rifles?  I'm looking at the swivel series with the notched legs.  Any opinions on this matter?  Also, what's a decent mount for one.

6-9 Swivel with notched legs is what I run.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/LT%20bipod%20mount%20and%20harris.JPG

+1

brms
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Model L S 9-13".  Swivel, no leg notches. Works on bench and prone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a 9-13 LM-S  (swivel with leg notches) for a general purpose prone bipod.  6-9 seems short unless you have a spacer between the bipod and HG (like C4iGrant).  I've had a non-swivel 13-27 model before and it was almost too high for prone use, but it would work for sitting also; sold it a few years ago.  9-13 seems the best compromise for prone shooting.  

I need to find some kind of handle or pod-lock to lock the swivel easier.  The knurled knob is hard to use.  I have a bushmaster varminter handguard (FF vented aluminum) and it comes with a bipod/sling stud.  The bipod mounts easy to it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
if you shoot prone and use a 30 rd mag then the 9-13 would probably be better
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my SLM.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The thing I would advise is don’t waste a lot of money on a mount.
Remember the mount does not need to be a precisely machined piece of metal.
It is not a functioning moving part. I have seen these mounts for 100.00 plus.
To me that is a ridicules amount of money.
The Bipod will have movement even if you mounted it on a 1000 pound piece of steel.
The following picture is my $30 mount for my carbine. It fit good and tight on my rail.  

I have two Harris Series 1A2 Model LM Bipods. Legs out stand off the hand guard just over 81/2 inches. Legs fully extended are 13 inches off the hand guard. I have found this to be perfect for all known positions.
Hope this helps you out.  

Edit to add: I bought it from a gun show and do not know the maker. The dealer carries a lot of RRA parts and pieces if that helps.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one harris bipod with the notched legs, and can't find anymore? Anybody have a lead on these??

Or maybe the local shops just haven't got any in stock yet.  But if anybody has an online source Hook a ARFCOMER up!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you goning to be shooting from a bench or from a low folage AO, then the the Hariss is fine. For moderate to very heavy folage, I have switched to the GG&G bipod. Less to get hung up on. For the HAris, a LaRue mount. The GG&G has there own, which works very well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I use four different ones, and I pretty much like them all. I don't know that I'll buy any more swiveling ones.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got one harris bipod with the notched legs, and can't find anymore? Anybody have a lead on these??

Or maybe the local shops just haven't got any in stock yet.  But if anybody has an online source Hook a ARFCOMER up!

I bought mine from www.midwayusa.com  this week.  They are having a sale this month also; $10 off the S models.  It was $80 plus shipping.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I've bought the BR (6"-9") and L ("9-13") Model, "S" Series Harris Bipods from an internet auction (the notched models are also available there).  Both under $70 brand new.  I also use the ARMS #32 Throw Lever Bipod Adaptor and the less expensive YHM-638 Bipod Adaptor.  Both are pretty good.  With the ARMS model, I like the fact that you can release the bipod quickly from the HG.  The YHM model attaches to the HG rail with two allen screws.  I would highly suggest getting a lever for the swivel nut.  It does not stay tight if done by hand.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I need to find some kind of handle or pod-lock to lock the swivel easier.  The knurled knob is hard to use.  I have a bushmaster varminter handguard (FF vented aluminum) and it comes with a bipod/sling stud.  The bipod mounts easy to it.  

1911user check out this thread. There is a guy that hooked arfcomers up with a knob and spacers in a kit.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=217027
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1911user check out this thread. There is a guy that hooked arfcomers up with a knob and spacers in a kit.

Made it hot
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Made it hot

Thanks for the link.  Bipod lock from T-nuts on order for a whole $6.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the Harris #5 AR15 adaptor and I fit it to my AR with the Harris BR bipod, fits like a dream - The adaptor was a whole $10.00, best deal out there IMO
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Rollyman. I never seem to be able to get the hot links to work. I thought that was a great deal on the locks from T-nut. I guess he had a real rush for them when the word first got out.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got off the phone with the guy from T-Nuts. Ordered two ratchets and spacers. The good news is that there is no minimum shipping and that they will go out tomorrow. Seemed like a nice guy.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just got off the phone with the guy from T-Nuts. Ordered two ratchets and spacers. The good news is that there is no minimum shipping and that they will go out tomorrow. Seemed like a nice guy.

Larry

T-Nut is a great guy, he's done everything he could to help us AR15.com guys out he could, so when you order a "T-Nut lock", you might as well order 2 or 3, you know you'll use it on that next build you've got in mind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top