Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/29/2009 8:39:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 8:47:10 PM EDT by Sgt__Rock]
Im going to SBR my AR soon and after I get it engraved im going to need to refinish it. Just wanted some suggestions on finishes you reccomend. Something hard, wears well and looks good. The only finish I have gotten on my AR's so far is Metaloys Tacticoat. I want something baked or p[lated on. No spray on finishes. Pics would be sweet. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:41:35 PM EDT
Re-anodized?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:11:49 PM EDT
could always melonite it here is a link
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 9:20:55 PM EDT by REDMASTA]
why not just color fill the engraving black? thats what i plan to w/ my sbr as soon as i get my tax stamp
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 9:31:23 PM EDT by nicholsmf]
Originally Posted By renesis:

Can that be done to aluminum

Coal Creek Armory is proud to offer the ultimate black "finish" for your steel firearms - Melonite QPQ™.

In a molten bath of special salts, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating a super-hard surface, called the "compound layer."

Melonite QPQ™ can be used on both carbon steel and stainless steel.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:39:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nicholsmf:

Coal Creek Armory is proud to offer the ultimate black "finish" for your steel firearms - Melonite QPQ™.

In a molten bath of special salts, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating a super-hard surface, called the "compound layer."

last I heard is that they have a special process to do it/have a different finish other than melonite. You might want to contact CCA and see what they say.

on a side note they offer baked finishes that I have heard are extremely tough as well, CCA are gtg and very pleasant to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:14:16 PM EDT
why do you need to refinish it? Its not like your engraving on a part thats going to wear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:16:37 PM EDT
I like the Molly Resin coat the Anvil Arms use.
http://www.anvilarms.com/pc-325-47-moly-coat.aspx
John Norrell gives an excellent explanation of it:
http://molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:27:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nicholsmf:

last I heard is that they have a special process to do it/have a different finish other than melonite. You might want to contact CCA and see what they say.

on a side note they offer baked finishes that I have heard are extremely tough as well, CCA are gtg and very pleasant to deal with.

Nope.. melonite/nitriding can't be done to aluminum
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:24:54 AM EDT
ION BOND , is the toughest available finish for aluminum end of discussion....
Top Top