Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 12:49:26 PM EDT
I took my used/new-to-me rifle out the other day for a range session. I was very impressed with the results when I used Federal Gold Match 168's. When I switched to my handloads, though, not so much. These were my standard Match M14 loads; Sierra 168's and 45gr of 748. They just hammer out of my Smith Enterprise, but only gave mediocre accuracy out of the Big AR. Back to the drawing board. Anybody have handloads that are working well for them?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a three shot group that a friend of mine shot with his Bone Stock LR-308.  I don't know what kind of scope he used but the only upgrade was a RRA two stage trigger.

Keep in I don't handload but he does.  I hope this is helpful.  The Handload info is actually on the target at the bottom as well.

3 shot group, 200 yards, .311" center to center.

Sierra 168gr Matchking, 42.0gr. Reloader 15, Federal Gold Medal Match Brass,  CCI BR-2 Primer.

Copy and paste the link below.

http://kings-mountain.biz/an_amazing_three_shot_group.htm
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is what my 24" .308 DPMS does at 100 yards with 168-gr SMK, 45-gr Varget, 210M primers, and Black Hills once-to-thrice shot brass, full-length sized and trimmed to length. After a while the rifle gets a little boring becasue it doesn't seem to change. Unless it is windy so as to test my compensating ability, the 1/2-MOA results are the norm. Shooting three-round groups yield around 1/4-MOA, by I prefer 4-rounds.

This is shooting from a Harris bipod, with 20-rd in the magazines, 4-rounds per group, and taking just a few seconds between rounds. Oddly, at 200 yards the groups are slightly smaller, MOA-wise. I plan to shoot at 200 and 300 yards again in a few weeks and will photograph and post those targets.

Alex

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
180gr sierras and varget.  best out of 168, 175, 180, 190gr.  175gr a close second.  tested at 200, 300 and 400yds.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top