Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:58:53 PM EDT
Larue 9.0 with low profile gas block and Troy BUIS.

-OR-

Larue 7.0 with fixed front sight.

Handguard will be installed on an LMT 16" upper with an M2 and an as yet to be determined rear BUIS.

At this point, I really don't have a preference for either one - I think they both would work fine for my purposes.  Which of the two specified would you go with?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For what kind of gas system?

Midlength or carbine?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Carbine.

I should have made that more clear.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It was clear to me.  7" rail with a fixed front sight means a 7" gas system...

Anyway, I'd get a 12" rifle length with a low profile gas block, the less barrel you see the better the rifle looks as far as I'm concerned.  Since that wasn't one of your options though, I'd go for the 9" with a low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

-OR-

Handguard will be installed on an LMT 16" upper with an M2 and an as yet to be determined rear BUIS.

At this point, I really don't have a preference for either one - I think they both would work fine for my purposes.  So, is there any reason not to do one or the other?

Neither.  Swan Sleeve with integral #40 folding rear sight and mil-spec fixed front.  How many LaRue or Troy units do you see in pictures of active duty working rifles from Iraq?  Do you think you would ever abuse your weapon as much, or rely on it as much as those guys do?  Why not use what the pro's use?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-OR-

At this point, I really don't have a preference for either one - I think they both would work fine for my purposes.  So, is there any reason not to do one or the other?

Neither.  Swan Sleeve with integral #40 folding rear sight and mil-spec fixed front.  How many LaRue or Troy units do you see in pictures of active duty working rifles from Iraq?  Do you think you would ever abuse your weapon as much, or rely on it as much as those guys do?  Why not use what the pro's use?

The pro's that I know are all LaRue and Troy fans.  Everyone else uses what the bean counters cheap out for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-OR-

The pro's that I know are all LaRue and Troy fans.  Everyone else uses what the bean counters cheap out for.

Just did a Google image search on "M4 Iraq".  Not a single Larue or Troy product.  Lot's of Aimpoints on A.R.M.S. mounts, though.   Roll around and laugh all you want.  Still don't change the fact that you are wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just did a Google image search on "M4 Iraq".  Not a single Larue or Troy product.  Lot's of Aimpoints on A.R.M.S. mounts, though.   Roll around and laugh all you want.  Still don't change the fact that you are wrong.

I appreciate the fact that you feel you are offering some sort of helpful suggestion, but please don't use this thread to justify whatever choices you've made for your kit.  If I was interested in an ARMS rail, I would've listed it as a choice.  I am not, and I did not.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Many of these users are less than photogenic.  Search 'Iraq 416' if you want to see what I mean.  The .gov has 3-7K of the damn uppers, but they don't show them around much.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Many of these users are less than photogenic.  Search 'Iraq 416' if you want to see what I mean.  The .gov has 3-7K of the damn uppers, but they don't show them around much.

Dude, I'm laughing too hard to argue with you...I just read the passed out fat girl post.  Unfreakingbelieveable!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I appreciate the fact that you feel you are offering some sort of helpful suggestion, but please don't use this thread to justify whatever choices you've made for your kit.  If I was interested in an ARMS rail, I would've listed it as a choice.  I am not, and I did not.  

Go read your initial post.  Your exact words were:  "So, is there any reason not to do one or the other?"

You asked for opinions, you got one.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm, well I don't know Mike. What you say contradicts with a lot of other people opinions, and that's fine, it's just an opinion, but do you have personal experience with Larue or Troy products? Have you had experiences where ARMS products have outperformed LaRue or Troy products?

After all, the gov't isn't always right, and it's pretty illogical to trust them blindly, esp. if the rifle is yours, not theirs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go read your initial post.  Your exact words were:  "So, is there any reason not to do one or the other?"

You asked for opinions, you got one.  

Edited original post.  h.gif
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

-OR-

At this point, I really don't have a preference for either one - I think they both would work fine for my purposes.  Which of the two specified would you go with?

LaRue 9.0 or 12.0 with the low profile gas block will cover the hotest part of the barrel, and that's good. If you're going to be using the gun dynamically, lots of movement and shoulder transitions, the covered gas block will be the best thing you ever did.

Both will give you more rail space to mount stuff, which is good depending on what you want to mount. Pushing a light further forward can be a good thing. The 9.0 will look more traditional whereas the 12.0 will give you a more dissipator-ish look. Both will add weight to the front end, and that may affect the overall balance of the gun.

There are several options for folding front sights, including Troy and PRI. Either would work well with a folding rear.

I have a 7.0 with the fixed front sight. It works well and is tough. There are times I wish the rails were a touch longer for more light mounting issues.

Both are great choices, it just depends on what you're going to use the gun for. Don't worry about what it looks like to us. Worry about how it works for you.

If I had to do it over again, I'd do the longer rail and cover the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Given your two choices I would say the 9.0 with the Troy. However I really like the 12.0 suggestion and do that instead if it were mine (along with mid-length gas system).  

I am glad you have sense enough not to worry if your rifle does not match what the "pros" use. As far as I am concerned if it does not say Colt  on the lower and have a happy switch you are already non-spec so who gives a #@*& if there is no picture of an MP guarding a officer's tent 150 yards inside the base perimeter while holding an AR with the parts that happen to be on your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the rifle length tube.  barrel protection is a good thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top