Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2007 5:48:56 AM EDT
I just bought from Brownells a new set of rifle length handguards made by DPMS.

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/231000011.jpg
DPMS Handguards

The handguard caps that I have are too small to fit this set of new DPMS handguards.  The description states: replacement for the older, triangular handguards.  Is their a different, or larger round handguard cap that I need to get, and where can I purchase one?

The handguard cap is the last piece I need to acquire to complete my first build.
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a round handguard cap, but the standard mil-spec triangle cap should fit the newer A2 guards if both parts are in spec.

The Triangle cap is standard on M16A2. I don't know if any rifle length system uses the round cap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The rifle has always has the triangular handguard cap.  The round, ribbed A2 style handguard fits the triangular cap.  Either half will fit on top or bottom, completely interchangable.

The carbines have a round handguard cap.

You bought a barrel with no handguard cap?  Most barrels have a handguard cap and front sight base.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The barrel I purchased has a low profile adjustable gas block underneath the handguards.  It also had the round carbine length handguards with the round cap.  I decided I would rather have the rifle length handguards and purchased them from Brownells (these are round handguards), not expecting that the round handguard caps that I have are just a little too small in diameter to fit the new handguards properly.

Carefully looking over the cap end of the handguards I can tell that a triangular cap is not going to fit properly, either.  I packed an A1 with the triangular handguards from '73 - '78.  This maybe a question to ask DPMS, who made these handguards.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The DPMS handguards WILL fit triangular handguard caps.

Note there are little nubs on the front end of the handguard.  Some will go inside the triangular cap, some will go outside the cap.

How are you going to replace a carbine length handguard with a rifle length handguard?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
How are you going to replace a carbine length handguard with a rifle length handguard?

Right now, they are already on the rifle, I just need to fit on a handguard cap and the front sight in front of it.  The cap is a nice, snug fit over the barrel.

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/yhm-9395.jpg

I heard back from Brownells GunTec; they stated that their DPMS round handguard cap should fit these handguards, but I'll order a triangular cap.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top