Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 7:42:42 PM EDT
Does any company out there make a STEEL handguard accessory rail?

I recently bought an aluminum rail and am having second guesses about it. I am going to use the rail to mount a flashlight mount and a vertical grip. Should I be concerned with the aluminum version or not?

I just have nightmares from using aluminum weaver scope mounts and aluminum rings on my 50 cal muzzleloader and 12G slug shotgun......with the aluminum distorting overtime and not being able told tolerate the shock of the 50cal/12G. I now ONLY run steel rings/bases.

Thanks for any and all info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The recoil on a .223 rifle is not as harsh as a .50 muzzleloader or 12 gauge shotgun.  FWIW, I've never seen any steel rails for ARs.  

What type of rail system are you considering?  I only wanted a vertical grip and flashlight mounted under the hand guard, so I took the easy (read as "cheap") way out and bought the AAC accessory rail.  Got the rail and a vertical grip for less than $45.  However, this rail is not suitable for mounting sighting devices, such as a laser.

I'm very happy with this setup and it saved me a lot of money.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you have a Knight's RAS system on your weapon, it should be just fine so long as you don't get the gun really hot and keep a lot of pressure on a forward grip.

This can sometimes twist the barrel out of spec.

The ARMS SIR system does not have this problem when anchored to the top of a flat-top upper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
All rails made by KAC and ARMS are aluminum.  They dont distort even when abused by our military.  I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#4]
99% of AR15 recievers are made of aluminum!  KAC and ARMS use this in their forends for a reason as well.  You'll be fine!!

Be aware of course that all handguards are not equal.  Like any product, steel or otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a Knight's RAS system on your weapon, it should be just fine so long as you don't get the gun really hot and keep a lot of pressure on a forward grip.

View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is, pressure applied to "any" Free Floating Hand Guard will not be transferred to the barrel. Whether the weapon is hot or not.
--RR
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Are all accessory rails pretty made the same by all the companies who make/sell them?.....And made out of the same grade aluminum? Or are some better than others?

Also my, my M4's handguard is about 6 1/8" long. It appears most rails are 4" long, but there rails are available in various lengths. Should I get a rail which runs the length of the handguard?.........or stick with a 'standard 4" long rail.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have a Knight's RAS system on your weapon, it should be just fine so long as you don't get the gun really hot and keep a lot of pressure on a forward grip.

View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is, pressure applied to "any" Free Floating Hand Guard will not be transferred to the barrel. Whether the weapon is hot or not.
--RR
View Quote

He was talking about the RAS not FF RAS.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are all accessory rails pretty made the same by all the companies who make/sell them?.....And made out of the same grade aluminum? Or are some better than others?

Also my, my M4's handguard is about 6 1/8" long. It appears most rails are 4" long, but there rails are available in various lengths. Should I get a rail which runs the length of the handguard?.........or stick with a 'standard 4" long rail.

Thanks again.
View Quote

There are many companies making different rail systems.  Knight's Armamant Co. has the RIS, RAS, FF RAS, and RAS II.  ARMS makes the SIR (Military and Civie models).  Olympic has a FIRSH, Bushmaster just started putting rails on their FF tubes.  I beleieve C-More is a Colt product.  Fobus has a less expensive polymer model.

The diffent sized panels will "fill in the spaces" of the other accessories you put on your rail. ie Vert Grip, light/light holder, sling swivel, bi pod, etc.  Although it's not necessary to cover up the rails, it does look better asthetically.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top