Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:47:45 PM EDT
I'd like your opinions on the M4 hand guards vs the traditional (skinnier) carbine hand guards.  Which do you prefer and why?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Reportedly (disclaimer) M4s retain heat more than traditionals.  The change was made because the M4s allow full auto fire for a longer period, w/o the operator having a problem.  That same insulation causes heat retention.

This is not my first hand knowledge its what I've culled.  Don't think you'll have a problem w/ semi.  And some like the feel of the fuller forearms.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My opinion:  I see no reason to replace my skinny hanguards...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a HBAR on my bushy carbine and once it got hot its hard to handle without gloves on having the skinny handgaurds,I got a set from bushmaster the fat kind, they are single heat shields not double like colt and they keep my hands cooler than the old skinny ones,also the material bushmaster uses in their fattys seem more durable than the colt ones and cheaper to.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Its all about personal preferance.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd like your opinions on the M4 hand guards vs the traditional (skinnier) carbine hand guards.  Which do you prefer and why?  Thanks!
View Quote

Both. Yes I really mean both, I use a M4 half on the bottom and a skinny on the top. The M4 gives a little more heat protection during rapid fire, the skinny dissapates the heat faster. Also the skinny one seems to work better if I install an ARMS #39.

Mack
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
My skinnys definitely heat up quicker than my M4's. I prefer the skinnys when I use a vertical grip.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Both. Yes I really mean both, I use a M4 half on the bottom and a skinny on the top. The M4 gives a little more heat protection during rapid fire, the skinny dissapates the heat faster. Also the skinny one seems to work better if I install an ARMS #39.

Mack
View Quote

I tried that, I couldn't get them to line up. Both were from Bushmaster. I'll have to try again, but IIRC the M4s were wider than the carbine HGs where they met.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top