Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2004 3:29:50 AM EDT
Ok guys need your help.

Number 1 has a  "M" inside a circle.  Make?
Number 2 has "CE II". Make?

TIA.

I admit I am lost to these markings, since I have never put together my own lower.  Yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#1]
is the M for model 1 sales?
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Got me?
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Is Model 1 a part manufacturer or distributor.  I get the feeling they are an assembler/distributor, so IMO "M" wouldn't be for Model 1, but who knows.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt AR15A3 Tactical Carbine lower with the "M".
I have two LMT lowers, one with the "M", and one with the "CE II"

I am trying to find out if the lowers were put together from the factory or an individual.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The only markings  I'm fairly sure of are the "B"s in Bushmaster lowers.  Everyone else apparently is using unknown subcontractors for their parts.

If Colt is using subcontractor produced innards, that would be a change for them.  My own Colt is over 25 years old, so I can't know what they're doing now, but back then internals had a small "C" with a number inside of it (production line?).

Maybe a more recent Colt owner can shed some light.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, Model 1 marks their products with scrathes.

Link Posted: 8/9/2004 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, Model 1 marks their products with scrathes.

You mean scratches right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
It is possible they have lisps....
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Spooge5150,

Your hammer marked CE II is a Colt piece, the circled M is probably a subcontractor as I've seen variations of M marked components before.

In going over my notes, I've come up with the following list of markings found on hammers by manufacturer and serial number range, as used on orignal production M16's. It is NOT inclusive but can be used as a guide in identifying the origin of surplus hammers.

Early Colt M16A1 (800,XXX), 2 on Left side
Colt M16A1 (4,000,XXX), 1,2,3 or 4 within a C on left side transitioning with = or - by 4,500,XXX.
H&R M16A1 (2, 057,XXX), 1,2,3 or 4 within a circle on left side. H&R produced M16A1's will be found with Colt manufactured bolts (MPC) and carriers (C) marked components.
GM/Hydramatic M16A1 (3,000,XXX) 1,2,3,or 4 within C, indicating Colt supplied FCG parts to GM. GM M16A1's also used Colt manufactured bolts (MPC) during production, although bolt carriers were unmarked.

Colt M16A2 (6,XXX,XXX), marked on left side with CE I, CE II (C indicating Colt, EI indicating revision I, etc). followed by E I, E II, followed by E 3 over N or E4 over N (N possibly being a subcontractor).
FN M16A2 (7,XXX,XXX), marked on left side with E3 over F or E4 over F.
EMCO rebuilt M16A2's and conversions. E3 over E, E4 over E, E over M, and E left side w/ M on right side. The last two were probably made for EMCO by a subcontractor being "M".

I haven't made notes on new production M4's or A4's as of yet. As far as parts marked with only a subcontractors mark as in M, unless they are observed as original components of new production weapons they should be considered as replacement parts.

One final note that may be of help. A SOUM (Safety Of Use Message) was published in Febuary of 1990 calling for the replacement of all M16A2 hammers that were marked with an "H" on the left side, as they were defective. This was due to an out of spec disconnector hook that allowed the weapon to double or fire full automatic when placed on Burst. So in the unlikely event you come across one, don't buy it.

Hope this is somewhat helpfull,

Wpns Man

Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Spooge5150,

Your hammer marked CE II is a Colt piece, the circled M is probably a subcontractor as I've seen variations of M marked components before.

In going over my notes, I've come up with the following list of markings found on hammers by manufacturer and serial number range, as used on orignal production M16's. It is NOT inclusive but can be used as a guide in identifying the origin of surplus hammers.

Early Colt M16A1 (800,XXX), 2 on Left side
Colt M16A1 (4,000,XXX), 1,2,3 or 4 within a C on left side transitioning with = or - by 4,500,XXX.
H&R M16A1 (2, 057,XXX), 1,2,3 or 4 within a circle on left side. H&R produced M16A1's will be found with Colt manufactured bolts (MPC) and carriers (C) marked components.
GM/Hydramatic M16A1 (3,000,XXX) 1,2,3,or 4 within C, indicating Colt supplied FCG parts to GM. GM M16A1's also used Colt manufactured bolts (MPC) during production, although bolt carriers were unmarked.

Colt M16A2 (6,XXX,XXX), marked on left side with CE I, CE II (C indicating Colt, EI indicating revision I, etc). followed by E I, E II, followed by E 3 over N or E4 over N (N possibly being a subcontractor).
FN M16A2 (7,XXX,XXX), marked on left side with E3 over F or E4 over F.
EMCO rebuilt M16A2's and conversions. E3 over E, E4 over E, E over M, and E left side w/ M on right side. The last two were probably made for EMCO by a subcontractor being "M".

I haven't made notes on new production M4's or A4's as of yet. As far as parts marked with only a subcontractors mark as in M, unless they are observed as original components of new production weapons they should be considered as replacement parts.

One final note that may be of help. A SOUM (Safety Of Use Message) was published in Febuary of 1990 calling for the replacement of all M16A2 hammers that were marked with an "H" on the left side, as they were defective. This was due to an out of spec disconnector hook that allowed the weapon to double or fire full automatic when placed on Burst. So in the unlikely event you come across one, don't buy it.

Hope this is somewhat helpful,

Wpns Man

You bet it is!

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top