Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 8:32:20 PM EDT
On both accounts the bullet stayed in the chamber. I had to use a cleaning rod to push them out. I inspected the cases and nothing seemed amiss. RO guessed it might have been a dirty chamber but I always clean my stuff after each range trip. When I cleaned it tonight, I looked up through the barrel and noticed a possible small pit on one of the left riflings when it first starts. Could this be the problem or something else to be concerned about? Also when I just ran rounds through without firing them I noticed the bullets would come out with scratches and 1 actually had a burr sticking off of it from a scratch. I'm afraid to rely on this as my go to gun is this shit is happening.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
On both accounts the bullet stayed in the chamber. I had to use a cleaning rod to push them out. I inspected the cases and nothing seemed amiss. RO guessed it might have been a dirty chamber but I always clean my stuff after each range trip. When I cleaned it tonight, I looked up through the barrel and noticed a possible small pit on one of the left riflings when it first starts. Could this be the problem or something else to be concerned about? Also when I just ran rounds through without firing them I noticed the bullets would come out with scratches and 1 actually had a burr sticking off of it from a scratch. I'm afraid to rely on this as my go to gun is this shit is happening.

Just to get a clearer picture of what may have caused it:

1) What type of ammo were you using?
2) Did the bullet get "stuck" inside the chamber? Was it stuck "firmly"?
3) When this happened, were you able to pull the CH or did the bolt get stuck with it?

If not;
4) Have you checked your extarctor for any problems?

ETA: Was it a "bullet" or a spent casing that got stuck????
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I was using Wolf. What can I say I'm a cheap sombitch. Never had a problem with it til now.
My mistake I meant to say the spent casing was stuck in the chamber. And yes it was in there pretty good. I could pull the CH and bolt back no problem. In fact it would try to load another round while the casing was still there.  I could also feel the extractor grab onto the case but slipped off when I manually operated the CH. Perhaps my extractor is worn already? I primarily use Wolf and heard it's not to kind to extractors but I only have 3-4 thousand rounds through.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Steel cased ammo is notorious for this kind of problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was using Wolf. What can I say I'm a cheap sombitch. Never had a problem with it til now.

Some call that, being practical.

My mistake I meant to say the spent casing was stuck in the chamber. And yes it was in there pretty good. I could pull the CH and bolt back no problem. In fact it would try to load another round while the casing was still there.  I could also feel the extractor grab onto the case but slipped off when I manually operated the CH. Perhaps my extractor is worn already? I primarily use Wolf and heard it's not to kind to extractors but I only have 3-4 thousand rounds through.

Well, that would be the first place i would "look" then.

The fact that you were able to push the shell out with a cleaning rod without issues AND that the shells do not show any abnormal deformities would - to my mind, mean that it was just a normal expansion which caused it to "stick" inside the chamber.

However, given that the extractor failed to pull out the shell in that "normal" state - then IMO it is your extractor that may have a problem.

Also, the reason I am led to believe that it may be your extractor is because of my personal experience. I had a bullet stuck inside my barrel once. I mean it was REALLY stuck tight! It took a lot of tugging (until my fingers were sooo sore after) on my CH before that bullet popped out. At no time did my extractor "disenggage" from the shell through all that tugging.

IMO

ETA: I was reading ColSanders post ... and I have to say / admit that other than what i have read on this Board about Wolf ammo, I do not have any personal experience with them (we don't have them here). So my comments may be off if Wolf ammo's shells are supposed to be "softer" than regular brass shells. Which then would explain why your extractor would easily slip off if  a shell got "stuck".

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#5]
No Wolf is steel case ammo and is harder on the extractor. I just didn't think it would wear out that fast, if it truly is the case. Any way I can be certain that this is the case and suggestions on where to get a new extractor?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No Wolf is steel case ammo and is harder on the extractor. I just didn't think it would wear out that fast, if it truly is the case. Any way I can be certain that this is the case and suggestions on where to get a new extractor?

Only way I can think of is by trying it out using a different bolt. Maybe if you have a spare bolt ... on another rifle OR you could borrow one from a friend.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you need a new extractor spring and I would suggest a D-fender 'D'-ring to go along with it.

This will give your extractor more bite on the casing and keep it from slipping off during extraction.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also when I just ran rounds through without firing them I noticed the bullets would come out with scratches and 1 actually had a burr sticking off of it from a scratch. I'm afraid to rely on this as my go to gun is this shit is happening.

This is not unusual when cycling live ammo by hand, most AR's will do this that's why I don't recommend doing this too often. But most of those rounds will still be serviceable even with the scratches. Burrs, you have to decide for yourself, I only shoot them on an individual basis but I doubt they will cause any problems, I'm just funny that way.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
clean and inspect your extractor, compare it to a unused extractor, replace if necessary.
inspect your extractor spring if it feels weak/questionable, install a Wolff HD extractor.

shoot it up!

oh, don't manually feed ammo. slam it home.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
clean and inspect your extractor, compare it to a unused extractor, replace if necessary.
inspect your extractor spring if it feels weak/questionable, install a Wolff HD extractor.

shoot it up!

oh, don't manually feed ammo. slam it home.

Don't have another extractor right now but might as well buy another just in case. Also when I first noticed the scratches and the burr, I wasn't manually closing the bolt, just opening and extracting a round to see if it was happening to all rounds.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top